Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] water/methanol injection on low boost with standard tune.

brandon.lecornu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 Wagon
Hi everyone,

Basically to start off with i live in Alice springs. so everything you buy you pay an arm and a leg for.
I own a VX Series 2 Wagon with an ecotec and am wanting to turbocharge it. I dont want flame like it costs heaps and there's lots of custom fab etc etc etc. i know what im getting in to, however i have a few questions regarding Water/Methanol Injection. Im only wanting to run low boost as i am unsure of the history on the motor, but im not going to cry if it throws a rod.

Will i get away with running say 7-10 PSI on standard tune using a water/methanol injection kit?

How can i cut motor in case of knock?

and without tuning how will i drop the RPM's in which the trans will shift at?

I know this is a lot to ask but if the water methanol mix is possible, everything will be DIY thus bringing down costs, If it needs to be tuned, it will have be trucked to a major city and the whole thing becomes Unfeasible.

Thanks in Advance, Brandon

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Will i get away with running say 7-10 PSI on standard tune using a water/methanol injection kit?

No.

It will run extremely lean. Also, PSI is dependent on what size turbo you're using. 7 PSI from a T28 is not the same as 7 PSI from a T88.

How can i cut motor in case of knock?

Knock sensors and ECU will do it for you.

and without tuning how will i drop the RPM's in which the trans will shift at?

You can't, the shift points are electronically set in the tune.

I know this is a lot to ask but if the water methanol mix is possible, everything will be DIY thus bringing down costs, If it needs to be tuned, it will have be trucked to a major city and the whole thing becomes Unfeasible.

It's already unfeasible because none of what you want to do will last long term.

A good tune negates the need for water/meth (which also requires it's own setup and adjustment with measurement relative to your setup, you can't just bung it on and hope for the best).

brandon.lecornu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 Wagon
No.

It will run extremely lean. Also, PSI is dependent on what size turbo you're using. 7 PSI from a T28 is not the same as 7 PSI from a T88.

Knock sensors and ECU will do it for you.

You can't, the shift points are electronically set in the tune.

It's already unfeasible because none of what you want to do will last long term.

A good tune negates the need for water/meth (which also requires it's own setup and adjustment with measurement relative to your setup, you can't just bung it on and hope for the best).

I am aware of the tuning that water and meth requires. Family have run water/meth setups before.

Shift points i'm not overly concerned about.

Could you explain to me as to why it would run lean? if i over jetted the water/methanol system wouldn't it balance out.

At the end of the day i'm not looking for long term longevity. just long enough to save up for a set of forged pistons and H-Beams.

What AFR would be appropriate?

And i would only be using a very small turbo to start off with. maybe a 99 WRX turbo seeing as they can be had for peanuts.

Sorry if i didnt provide enough information, but if it lasts a month ill be happy. im not intending on running it down the track. just wouldnt mind having the extra go , until i do a rebuild.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
A TD04L will open the waste gate on idle probably lol that's way too small man you'd need 2 even then probably too small..... As stated before its all about compressor size 10pound from your TD04L isn't going to be the same as a GT35R (which I recommend btw)

The std maf has minimal resolution and once you see a few psi you'll be all over the shop. You can get a mail order tune and then send data logs to adjust it

You'll need a MAP sensor instead of the shitty maf.

For a cheap cheap turbo set up your looking at $3000 if u do absolutely everything yourself plus tune etc and when your done your going to explode the trans, crack rings, and blow out the bottom end.

Buy a $600 - $1000 L67 and piss off the charger for $500 and spend that on a turbo set up and you'll get away for probs $2?

Or better yet sell ur car buy a factory L67 and do it.

brandon.lecornu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 Wagon
A TD04L will open the waste gate on idle probably lol that's way too small man you'd need 2 even then probably too small..... As stated before its all about compressor size 10pound from your TD04L isn't going to be the same as a GT35R (which I recommend btw)

The std maf has minimal resolution and once you see a few psi you'll be all over the shop. You can get a mail order tune and then send data logs to adjust it

You'll need a MAP sensor instead of the shitty maf.

For a cheap cheap turbo set up your looking at $3000 if u do absolutely everything yourself plus tune etc and when your done your going to explode the trans, crack rings, and blow out the bottom end.

Buy a $600 - $1000 L67 and piss off the charger for $500 and spend that on a turbo set up and you'll get away for probs $2?

Or better yet sell ur car buy a factory L67 and do it.

So basically what everyone is saying is that back in the 80's they never increased boost on the GNX's even though there are plenty of examples. Im not denying what you are saying is right. in a perfect world id get it tuned and all would be sweet. However living in alice springs complicates things a lot. Guy up here wants ridiculous money and its street tuned not dyno. (scary ****) to truck my car down to adelaide would be 500$ each way. Plus the tune aswell as map sensor. etc etc etc. Basically a hack job for the moment would be ideal. Could a 7th injector provide that little bit of extra fuel to get me over the line for 6-8psi.

thanks, brandon

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I understand what your saying man but the fact is without a tune your going to blow something up, why don't u get in touch with Nigel (the1 on these forums) and he might be able to sort u out a mailed memcal to drop in do a quick spirt down the hwy while data logging send the log to him he tweaks it and done SAFE boost......

Alternatively source a L67 memcal which will have the map for the extra flow for the MAF but will no doubt run out of resolution at around 5 or so psi? Depending on the turbo obviously ... If you want TD04 go 2. You'll have to use the 36lb injectors too (std L67 injectors)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
It will be fine, 7psi is more than useable on the Ecotec, if your running any more put an intercooler on it to be safe up there in Alice Springs.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
No.

7PSI is 7PSI, doesn't matter how you make it, if it's registered as 7PSI it's 7 PSI!

brandon.lecornu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 Wagon
7PSI is 7PSI, doesn't matter how you make it, if it's registered as 7PSI it's 7 PSI!

I have decided to go with a vortech 9 psi kit from capa. By the time i have bought everything for all the turbo stuff itll be cheaper to get the kit from the. $7000 for a running 200rwkw car is a relatively small price to pay. Then when the ecotec decides to go ill just part out the wagon and buy a VZ SS etc etc.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
There is a massive difference between a centrifugal charger, and a turbos boost and power.... Not dissing the product but you could easily do a mad turbo set up for under the $7000, and it'd have so much more go, buy a gt35R turbo there mid range in size for ur engine and would go Awsome!