Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water on top of engine

marcoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
I have a VR Acclaim series 2 - I have water pooling in one of the gaps on top of the engine. It's coming from one of the bolts on the driver side. I can see the water seeping out after I drive it. I am new to this, can anyone tell if this is a common problem? What are those bolt for, can I tighten them myself, there are 3 on either side. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Would it be possible for you to post up at picture at all? From the sounds of it you have a leaking manifold (valley) gasket and this will need to be replaced. This is the gasket that forms a seal between your inlet manifold and your cylinder heads and stops engine coolant mixing with your inlet charge. It is not an uncommon problem at all and is a simple remove and replace procedure to fix.

marcoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
picture

here's a better picture, it doesn't show the bolts but if you've seen a VR engine you'll know what I'm talking about. where the 3 arrows are there are 3 bolts. The one on the driver side closest to the front is leaking water.

Attachments

• engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 298

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
have you tried tightening the bolt first?

marcoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hey

I don't know anything about engines. I haven't tried tightening it. Is there anything I can f^#k up by tightening the bolt?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
not realy just dont try to tighten it too much as it may snap

marcoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
I'll try tightening tonight and see how it goes. Is there a name for that bolt?

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
i tightened my bolts a bit and it worked fine. it only leaked cos i flushed the system and it mustve moved a bit of crap from the gasket which mightve been sealing a small crack on the gasket. yeh just dont overtighten them and itll be fine. should be a 3/4 inch spanner or socket to tighten them

gontix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S 3.8
There a 3/4 inch bolt. The torque spec for them is 20-25Nm which is quite low. I wouldn't just go and tighten them to much as you may damage the threading.
Leaking from there indicates your inlet-manifold gasket will need replaceing (or you could try putting some radiator stop leak into your radiator, for a temporary fix). Which is a fairly large job to do. You should be keeping an eye on your coolant levels now aswell.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Retightening the bolts to the specified torque spec may stop the leak, but do be aware that it is likely to only be a temporary fix, and will soon leak again. IMO you would be best off replacing the gaskets. Do you have a workshop manual for a vr and a basic toolkit? With a little bit of mechanical knowledge you shouldn't find it too hard to replace yourself.