Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water Pump for VZ

VZ05LUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ LUMINA
Hi All,

Just found that I need to replace the water pump on my VZ 05 V6.
Was wondering if it's worth buying a non-GMH water pumps from Repco, Bursons, or Supercheap.

The prices which I got was.
Holden - $165.00
Repco - $95.00 or $115.00
Bursons - $115.00
Ebay GMB - $65.00

When I'm changing the water pump is their anything else I need to change - pulleys, belts ?

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I only changed my water pump on my VZ 05 V6 a couple of months ago. For the number of times you need to change a water pump & considering that it is a relatively important component (understatement), I would recommend a genuine GMH as I got - not that I had a lot of choice, as I was stuck in country Vic over Xmas & had to have it freighted (freight cost stuff all) to where my car was stuck.

I'm pretty sure that the genuine GMH stuff is covered by a 12 month warranty, and dealers may be a lot easier to get to than aftermarket places, if you ever need to claim any warranty.

My 2c +GST worth.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
I put in a Bursons pump. Only because I got it cheap. They appear to be well made with stainless impeller and made in Japan.

VZ05LUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ LUMINA
Thanks, Can someone tell me in which country the genuine GM water pump be made in?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Old one (OEM) was not marked with a country of origin. Just manufacturer, ICD.

muneey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
i got a ebay GMB one and it works fine..2 years warranty and made in japan! for only $65 i dont think you can complain!

VZ05LUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ LUMINA
Thanks, I contacted Holden Spare parts and they don't know where the genuine ones are made from.
Burson said that their is from Japan.

I saw the one on ebay GMB but I need it today.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The GMB ones are fine and as stated they are made in Japan. I put one in my VN a while back, it had a cast impeller not a pressed steel one and it did not give me any problems. The genuine part would be sourced from the cheapest place they could get it, for example the last genuine fuel pump I bought for a VN was made in China and service parts fro my VY are being made in Eastern Europe nowdays.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I bought 2 Repco ones a V8 one & a V6 one . , GMB I think , also have 12mth warranty, you need to change also:-
1.The coolant , get a good type B one with a 3 year life
2.Change the radiator hoses , if they are original ones.
3. Change your thermostat , Try & get a 10degree cooler one, the car runs cooler & better fuel economy
4. Change your radiator if its more than 5 years old.
5. check all your drive belts & pulleys for cracked belts & noisey pulleys ,
best of luck , good job to do on a wet day!!!!!

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
3. Change your thermostat , Try & get a 10degree cooler one, the car runs cooler & better fuel economy

That's odd. Goes again everything I've ever read.

I was under the impression that the ideal situation (efficiency wise), was a hot engine & cool induction of inlet air. I would have thought that a cooler engine would be less efficient, as more energy would be expended into the cooling system (heat flow wise), hence the use of a thermostat, inter alia, to raise the cooling system (and engine) to a higher temperature - increasing efficiency.

Oh well. Looks like my heat flow physics are now out the window.