Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water Pump has given me the shits

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Well, the other night went down the bottle shop with some mates to get some beer, lo and behold, turn onto the street the bottle shop is on with no power steering, thinking i had just broken the drive belt, i checked what caused it last time, seized tensioner pulley, nope, fine, so i put my spare one on, and start the car, there is goes again. Right, time to ring the RAA, they get there, seized water pump, where do you want it towed, home mate, i can replace that, easy.

Got the new pump today, gasket, thread sealer and begin the project, first, the tensioner pulley is covered in the crap the belts are made of cos it got so hot, better replace that then, take that off, and the metal the bearing goes over is broken, well, cant replace that without replacing the whole pulley, ah well, tomorrow i can do that, ill replace the water pump for now. Start to take the bolts out, most of them are so rooted i wouldnt put em back in, then i notice that there are two already broken off and stuck in the block from whoever had it off before i got the car:ranting: , damnit, last one, that one broke as well.

Got the pump off and thought thats odd, i dont think it should be rubbing like that, the damn pump had moved and gouged out part of the block:bang: So now, im sitting here ranting to you lot while i wait for the tow truck so my mechanic can sort it out.

Anyone else had this type of problem?

Sorry, had to get that off my chest

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yep thats a bummer!
I had the water pump replace the other week but now the timming cover is leaking. Have to pull it all down again.. Was told the timming cover was gona cost around $300.00 + labour. Paid $25.00 for s/h of Ebay.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
did the pump actuly move or the impella work it's way rearwards

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The impella shifted, made a nice mark too, should have gotten photos, but i didnt, was too pissed off

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Doctor Sodways said:
The impella shifted, made a nice mark too, should have gotten photos, but i didnt, was too pissed off
is the impella press fit or key type with grubscew?

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunno, didnt look, i had a replacement pump, the whole car is down at my mechanics now, he can fix it and make me broke in the process

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Guy i have known for years runs an ultra tune, if he wasnt running the place i wouldnt touch em, but he does good work at a reasonable price, so he keeps getting my business. That and no matter how busy they are, he always makes sure my car is done on time and whenever i need it, he also makes room for some of my mates cars when their mechanic cant do the work, so its not all bad