Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water pump leak

Slowvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vxss
You are pretty much there already, by memory there is 4 sump bolts going in the bottom of the timing cover and just the outer one's.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
and the harmonic balancer which is the hard part for those without the correct tooling.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Being an Eco, it's hard for me to say as it looks different to a Buick in a fair amount. But on a Buick the timing covers rarely leak. What does leak is the bolts that have access to coolant. I chased down a leak for six months and thought it was the timing cover. When all it was was the ground/earth bolt that goes through the timing cover had been disturbed and not resealed. I don't know if this bolt is just a Buick thing? So i can't say if you have one or not. But it sits to the passenger side, near the alt on a Buick and is one of the bolts for the timing cover.

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
You are pretty much there already, by memory there is 4 sump bolts going in the bottom of the timing cover and just the outer one's.
Time to head to the library and borrow good ol Gregory's car manual again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You know looking at the pic on the computer instead of my phone makes me wonder if it is just a bolt leak. Mine looked like the second photo on the first page. Mine only leaked after sitting all night. Couple of mech's said it looked like a leaking timing cover because of where the coolant sat.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I have to agree with Losh on this point.

I'd pull out the bolts one by one and reseal them individually. Don't take them all out at the same time. Just do one at a time and then replace the pump. Use plenty of "Stag"/ Permatex Gasket Goo on the bolts and you may well be pleasantly surprised.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
You know looking at the pic on the computer instead of my phone makes me wonder if it is just a bolt leak. Mine looked like the second photo on the first page. Mine only leaked after sitting all night. Couple of mech's said it looked like a leaking timing cover because of where the coolant sat.
My thoughts from looking at the photos (on a 42" screen), the leak is coming from the water pump bolt holes.
I seal all the bolts on my water pump (ecotec).
In other words, l agree with losh1974.