Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water pump

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
Water is leaking from the water pump in my vs. I rang holden about the part, and there are two types of water pumps for this model. I need the one that costs $270. Does anyone know if the water pump can be repaired, or if there is anyway to check the leak. It doesn't always leak, but the engine doesn't have to be on for it to leak.

orchie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec SI
my water pump just shat itself today, coolant dripping down the fan belt / pulleys.
was quoted $150 for a GMB Pump, and 2 hours labour ($70 an hour), so that totals $290......is this some kind of special pump ur buying or......????

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I was in SuperCheap last week and the had 40% off Japanese GMB pumps!!!! always at the wrong time !!!... Anyway, a GMB pump for a series 2 VS should cost about $120 and take about 1 hour to fit. No rocket science needed to fit.
Similar prices and times for a series 1 VS.
At $120 to buy a new pump nobody would bother to put a new seal in one.

ThongyVL

Reaction score
Website
www.thongysautoparts.com
Members Ride
97 VS Acclaim
oldmate said:
Water is leaking from the water pump in my vs. I rang holden about the part, and there are two types of water pumps for this model. I need the one that costs $270. Does anyone know if the water pump can be repaired, or if there is anyway to check the leak. It doesn't always leak, but the engine doesn't have to be on for it to leak.

Hey mate,
I can get you a brand new genuine Holden water pump:
V6 $230 inc GST
V8 $150 inc GST
Those water pump are for the later versions of the VS. Let me know if you are interested, pick up is available from Sydney.

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
yeah, i think i might go the ebay option. $50 with free delivery. I'd be pretty keen to do any work on my car myself anyway.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Just a word of caution: I just checked two pumps on Ebay, one for $60 is for series 1 VS and the second one ($66) says it suits ALL 3.8 V6 motors .....which just isn't true as there are at least 2 different pumps that I know of (and I don't know much). Someone is dreaming!
So just be very careful that what you are buying is the correct one. Good Luck.

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
hako said:
Just a word of caution: I just checked two pumps on Ebay, one for $60 is for series 1 VS and the second one ($66) says it suits ALL 3.8 V6 motors .....which just isn't true as there are at least 2 different pumps that I know of (and I don't know much). Someone is dreaming!
So just be very careful that what you are buying is the correct one. Good Luck.

I'm looking at this one on ebay:

You are bidding on a brand new Taipan brand water pump to suit V6 Commodore models VS ( Chassis Number VH515479 - on ) , VT including supercharged and VX.

My engine number is vh538807

I've never bought anything for my car on ebay before, so i'm hoping this all goes good. Its from 2wd parts ebay store. Costs $55. Anyone had any experience with this store?

This place is also selling the water pump with the lower chassis numbers, vn-vs.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That looks like a good deal - they accept payments only thru PAYPAL which means product and delivery is guaranteed plus they have 100% positive feedback on 227 transactions. No complaints there!

monterey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6 A4
Hi all,

I bought a GMB water pump from Repco today for $90 to go into my in-laws VS. Repco also had an Indonesian brand for $75. I was fortunate that Super Cheap were out of stock, as their list price was something like $110.

Anyway, does anyone know how much to torque the bolts up to when fitting a water pump to the ecotec V6?