Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water pumps and thermostat

coder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1
This morning unfortunately a water pump went on my VT. I'm fairly new to getting into the more technical side of things with cars so go easy :)

What are the common causes of failed water pumps? I've also noticed that water levels have reduced quite significantly in the car over the last month or so, so how much water loss is 'normal' and what are causes of it?

On another note, I've witnessed times where the temperature levels have risen quite high then dropped to normal after the thermostat kicks in. Is this a common problem and how can you tell whether it should be changed or not?

Thanks guys

StevenzZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S Tiga Mica
This morning unfortunately a water pump went on my VT. I'm fairly new to getting into the more technical side of things with cars so go easy :)

What are the common causes of failed water pumps? I've also noticed that water levels have reduced quite significantly in the car over the last month or so, so how much water loss is 'normal' and what are causes of it?

On another note, I've witnessed times where the temperature levels have risen quite high then dropped to normal after the thermostat kicks in. Is this a common problem and how can you tell whether it should be changed or not?

Thanks guys
hey mate, water pumps etc are all bound to fail one day, but by not having coolant in there(or coolant is to old) and just using plain water will cause it to rust and fail a lot quicker.

really you shouldn't "lose" water at all...if its every few days/weeks its leaking somewhere and its not normal..

if you want to know if your thermostat is working/opening let the car heat up a bit and place your hand around the top radiator hose then do the same on the bottom hose, they should be the same temperature if the bottom is still cold and the tops very hot the thermostat is not working....or if the bottom is only a quarter hot its opening but not fully. I'm sure you get my drift :)

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
it would be best to replace the thermostat when you replace the waterpump. A thermostat and gasket is under $20 for genuine holden

coder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1
Great stuff, will have a yarn to the mechanic tomorrow about this when i pick the car up.
Thanks a lot guys!