Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water running of the stone guard

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
HI guys
A newbie here asking a stupid question. I took a VX clubsport for a test run of about 70klms . I asked if I could take it and show the Mrs and to return the next day, which wasn't a problem. All went well, I jumped in it this morning to make the return trip to of 70klms and a warning light come on. The symbol is a radiator, I popped the bonnet and noticed that the water reservoir was down, so topped it up and hence the warning light went out.
I proceeded to take the car back and on the way the warning light come on again, I noticed that the temp gauge was fine so continued the 20klms remaining. Once I got back to a servo I checked the reservoir for water and sure enough it was back down to the level it was before I topped it up.
While there I started the car and filled the tank again and looked underneath and noticed water running down the stone guard, which ended draining downthe water to the same level in the tank , which is just above one of the hoses.
What I did notice was that the water wasn't hot running from the bottom stone guard.
Has anyone else had this problem, the car isn't getting hot and the water in the tank drops 70mil under the mark on the tank, but doesn:t empty
Any ideas
Cheers in advance

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The plastic side tanks on the radiator are prone to leaking, that could be your problem. Otherwise it could be leaks from the radiator/heater hoses or connections.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hmmm have you bought the car? if not tell them they fix it then you buy it simplez

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
I hope its something simple, if the water was leaking into valves what should I look for. Is there anything obvious.
There is a small amount of water on the ground but not the quantity that has been displaced in the tank

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have read reports of the overflow tank itself having a crack and leaking water, may pay to have a good look around the tank to see if there are any leaks.