Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water Splurgin Help

pgen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Everytime i take my vn berlina out after a while the water in the run off tank starts to like pressurise and spurt out everywhere causin my car to overheat now last weekend i flushed out the radiator and that and it was fine now its bak i was just wonderin if theirs anyway to stop this from happening constantly

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
there most certainly is, replace the thermistate, that is the cause of all your issues. it's either that or your cooling system is blocked somewhere.

pgen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
thanks i was thinkin it might have been that just wanted a second opinion

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
thanks i was thinkin it might have been that just wanted a second opinion

Here have a third, replace the thermostat bro! :D If it's a series 1 then you have my sympathy.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4

What are you laughing at? If your engine gets that hot the head warps and your head gasket disintegrates. :p J/K, the E series heat issues are overrated, but still I'd far prefer to do even a VN S1 thermostat than a head.

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
hang on dude, it doesn't sound like the thermostat.....sounds like just the radiator cap!
the spring in it may have lost its tension and as the pressure builds up its letting the pressure through to the tank......this is very common and i recommended to replace the cap yearly (i do it myself every year).
thats the purpose of the cap and surge tank.....when something is wrong in the system and pressure builds beyond its operating range, hence beyond the cap's spring tension, it "gives" to relieve pressure in the system.
and as the car stops and the system cools, it creates vacumn (from the loss of water) and sucks the water from the surge tank back into the radiator.
if you ever notice the water drying up in the surge tank, thats a sign you have a leak somewhere and the system is drawing water from the surge tank whenever it cools down......

if the thermostate fails, it either stays closed or stays opened...
if closed - overheating.
if open - runs cool all the time.
try the cap first - easier and cheap.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
i agree with totq, my sisters vn had exactly the same problem. we replaced the thermostat... and it still splurted out and over heated and yeah... then we replaced the cap on the refill bottle and cooled right down and ran fine. so maybe go get a new cap for that first. :D.. but i guess changing the thermostat coulnt hurt.... only makes it better =]

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
i agree with totq, my sisters vn had exactly the same problem. we replaced the thermostat... and it still splurted out and over heated and yeah... then we replaced the cap on the refill bottle and cooled right down and ran fine. so maybe go get a new cap for that first. :D.. but i guess changing the thermostat coulnt hurt.... only makes it better =]

not the refill bottle cap, the "radiator" cap, should be about $15.