Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Waterpump Change

MR 1JZ

Classy not sassy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
no this isnt a dowel...there is meant to be a bolt there...

there is 4 small 1/4 inch UNC bolts that are about 1 inch long...the dodgey prick that did the waterpump before I got the car must have found the hole was too coroded to put another bolt in there so instead of drilling it out and putting a heli-coil in there they have literally just smashed a small rod in there which I now cant get out to replace with a helicoil...

captain thread is coming this arvo to fix it...farken

pics:
IMG00023-20090507-0741.jpg
IMG00024-20090507-0741.jpg

what a pain in the arse

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
tunc!

yep thats rooted! sorry bloke! you can see the dowel i was talking about just above that 'bolt' - cant get a pair of lockjaws onto it can ya? save your cash from 'captain thread'?
Good luck mate

MR 1JZ

Classy not sassy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
tried that already mate...according to the thread guy I have to take the entire front timing cover off to fix this issue...

unless I can get the bolt out...which I doubt im gonna be able to do...

thats ok I didnt feel like having a weekend anyway

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
if you are takng the timing cover off you might be better just to get another one from a wrecker than fix your old one? I don't want to suggest dirty tricks, but if you can't wiggle it out with vice grips can you cut it off flush and then drill it out ? then maybe captain thread can do something for ya.

MR 1JZ

Classy not sassy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
another what from a wrecker

a whole motor??

captain thread said he cant do it without the cover being off...I really dont want to do it this weekend at all...or ever...so im considering cutting half of the protruding bolt off and then welding the thread section of a bolt on the end of that...then I will be able to get a nut on top of it and get the waterpump to fit nice and tight...that will work and will work fine I think

its a REDICULOUSLY big job to get the timing cover off...more time than I am prepared to dedicate to a daily driver

tully2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon Manual
Don't forget the three pellets to lubricate the pump seal when you replace the coolant. That could be why it only got 30,000 ks.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I was suggesting a new timing cover, not a new motor, but yes its a big job like you said.
Tully, lots of people say you don't need those pellets any more , but i still use them for this very reason.

tully2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
So true about the pellets. had the motor pull out to fix rear main oil leak under warranty, the holden dealer didn't use the pellets and the pump leaked and they had to replace it. The last service I got from that dealer was the last one and they said the same thing, but the coolant hasn't changed and the pump hasn't changed. Got the car new and just replace the pump, and very coolant change pellets go in, 325ks on it. Even if the new pumps might not need them it's better to safe then sorry and there cheaper then a new pump!.

Last edited:

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
whats this about pellets??

never heard of addin them to the mix in my time of workin on commonwhores...
then again, my mate never uses them and he is a fully Q'd mechanic as well, and he never uses them either...

tully2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have a "Owner's Handbook" for the VR series look on page 8-2 which states "In addition, 3 pellets, part no M40124 must be added when the coolant is replaced" and also on page 12-9, this is for the V6 only. For some reason these pumps need this lubrication.