Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wax or Polish? What gets the water to run off?

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Can't stand the way the water "beads" on my car, when it's been raining.
years ago i remember seeing an ad on tv where whatever it was they'd used, the water just ran straight off the bonnet.
Is this what just using polish does? (haven't tried polish yet)
Looks nice after waxing, but the 1st time it gets wet and leaves water beads on it, once they dry, it's covered in gazillions of little dirt spots. :(

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I used turtle wax on my car and it went sweet for a good month or two.

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Water beads are a good thing, when the water doesnt bead its time for a wax/polish. To prevent water beading on your windscreen use Rainex. As for the paintwork, Id be happy its beading.

Whether you use wax or polish the water will bead.. havent seen a wax or polish that doesnt bead.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
aa23 said:
Can't stand the way the water "beads" on my car, when it's been raining.
years ago i remember seeing an ad on tv where whatever it was they'd used, the water just ran straight off the bonnet.
Is this what just using polish does? (haven't tried polish yet)
Looks nice after waxing, but the 1st time it gets wet and leaves water beads on it, once they dry, it's covered in gazillions of little dirt spots. :(

the dirt comes from the rain...this cannont be helped. Maybe park your car on a 75 degree hill, this way the water will run off and should keep the dirt with it.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
minux said:
the dirt comes from the rain...this cannont be helped.

The dirt actually comes from the spray from other cars off the road while you're driving more than the rain itself.

aa23, I know what you mean though. It's a problem I've been battling with for years. When you first wax/polish your car, it looks sexy, but after it's been raining, it actually looks worse than all the other cars on the road due to the water spots. Although a good coat of wax helps the dirt to slide off rather than stick to the paint the next time it rains or when you wash it.

As others have said, the water beads are a good sign that your car is well waxed or polished. IMO wax actually gives more & better beads. I too recall seeing some product advertised years ago which was supposed to make the water "sheet" off the car rather than bead. I don't remember the name of the product, but I personally wouldn't trust it, IMO a good wax or polish = water beads. Unfortunately the spots are just something we have to live with...

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
minux said:
the dirt comes from the rain...this cannont be helped.
I know, but it also comes from the concrete factory next to my work. :( So i'm parked in the car park for 12 hours, which doesn't have any 75 degree hills, and the cement dust lands on my wet car. Then the water dries and looks horrible.

I too recall seeing some product advertised years ago which was supposed to make the water "sheet" off the car rather than bead.
Glad someone else remembers seeing the ad also. :)
I know water beading means there's a good protective coating underneath, but in Melbourne's rain infested weather, it just makes the car look yucky bloody quick. :(
Guess i'll just have to live with it.
Thanks for the replies. Appreciated. :)

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Could always try rainex on the paint haha try it somewhere hidden like inside the door first to make sure it doesnt hurt the clearcoat....

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Cement dust is nasty as the lime etches quite quickly. Lots of wax over a good polish. The dust will still mark it but it should not get through to the paint if you give it an occasional rinse.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
what about a car cover? if your car's in the sun for 12 hours a day, it ain't the stupidest idea

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
A car cover would drive me crazy. Can't imagine wanting to stuff a big wet car cover in the boot, when it's all wet. Then having to dry it out, and washing it if it's dirty. :(