Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Waxing your car.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
When it comes time to wax my car, I dread doing it, because of a few things.
I haven't got access to much shade, or a shed, so I have to leave it to afternoon when it cools down and the sun is just about down. Then when I wax the car even in good light, I can't tell which parts have been waxed. so there are probably times when I have doubled up on my work, this is the most frustrating part of waxing for me. Is there any wax that is dyed or a different colour to white?

Thanks,

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
whenw axing you do the whole car before buffing it off...most waxes leave a residue when dry..so if yu have missed anything it is easy to see

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
You can wax one panel at a time, leave it for a few minutes, then buff off. That way it'll be easy to know what you're up to.

But I'd suggest you borrow a mate's garage or carport for a day. One with good lighting would be a bonus. Flouro lights show every little defect in your paint - which can be a bad thing sometimes! :bang:

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I always do one panel at a time, and always late afternoon when the shade is across my whole backyard.. Sometimes if i'm feeling lazy I only do the bonnet, roof and lid as they cop the most light and rain. Also steer clear from doing it late evening when the dew sets in other wise it is a bitch to buff off with moisture getting into your polishing cloth.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vystorm_adel said:
Sometimes if i'm feeling lazy I only do the bonnet, roof and lid as they cop the most light and rain.

Yeah, I do the same thing sometimes. Roof, bonnet & boot one weekend and all the side panels the next weekend.

This will also help you know what you're up to & help the running out of light problem...

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I wax my car approx every 6 months.Once I have washed it I use a chamois to dry it,I then leave it to dry for 1/2 an hour then I apply the wax to all of the car.If you only wax part of the car and plan to do the rest the next weekend any dust or crap that has settled on your car will scratch the paintwork when you apply the wax.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
satos said:
If you only wax part of the car and plan to do the rest the next weekend any dust or crap that has settled on your car will scratch the paintwork when you apply the wax.
That's why you wash it again and again and again......:thumbsup: Realistically I never get anything done the "next" weekend, more like a month later.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I don't have a garage, so in summer and spring, I used to wax my car at night, down at the local BP servo. Large open area, bright lights, no sun.

Not sure if I'll ever bother with the faded VP though. I havn't even washed it since I bought it. Just cleaned up the wheels and tyres ^^

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
satos said:
If you only wax part of the car and plan to do the rest the next weekend any dust or crap that has settled on your car will scratch the paintwork when you apply the wax.

Yeah, maybe i should've mentioned that you wash the car again before waxing again the next weekend...

Morton said:
I used to wax my car at night, down at the local BP servo. Large open area, bright lights, no sun.

Man that's commitment for ya! I actually always used to think about doing that when I didn't have a garage but didn't want any strange looks or grief from the servo owner.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
When you guys say buff the wax off what do you use to buff it off exactly? Im thinking of waxing my car once i know for sure the rain will stop :D