Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weak sound when car turns on

tznu1

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hey everyone,

When i turn my car on (VP COMMODORE) to accessories, I have good sound quality like bass etc

but when I turn the car on, the sound weakens and distorts the speakers with the bass.

I tried changing earth points (2 times) but any other ideas on why I would be having this problem?

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Need more info mate, what headunit do you have, amps, only on radio/cd....

tznu1

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Just a pioneer one. no amps, both on radio/cd.. its one of them normal pioneer mp3 ones with the aux port. maybe direct earth might help?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Could try a line filter in the HU power supply. I think you are getting radio interference from the alternator.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I wouldn't be using a filter, I'd be finding the fault...

Disconnect the wiring and check it all with a multimeter. Ensure ground is ground, accessory and battery wires are correct, speaker wires have the correct resistance and have no connection to ground. If all of that is PERFECT, then I'd probably go to an auto elec and have my alternator and stuff checked.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Id say the alternator may have something to do with it.

Do you have a volts meter?

M

magnumv8

Alternator + 1, something funny going on with power to your head unit. How is th head unit wired-constant power direct from battery? 12v switched from cig lighter or did you use factory wiring?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Another vote for alternator. My bet would be that a diode or two has packed it in. If you measure you battery voltage engine running, you should see over 13volt dc. Now swing the multimeter to AC volts. Anything over 1volt AC is indicative of a failed diode. I had a similar issue once before that had me scratching my head and then out of curiosity I checked the AC content of the charge voltage and sure enough.. 7V AC. Car ran fine... everything worked perfectly, except for the radio.