Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Webber carb on Red 173

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Just been doing a bit of research on this because the Stromberg definately has to go, and until now I have only heard rumours about fitting the webbers from rubbish dump cars on the old sixes. Basically I just wanted to make a list on what I would need and what would be the best way to go about doing a conversion.

So far I gather I'll need...

Webber carb "32/36 DGV"
Redline adaptor plate
Manifold - Seems the stock stromberg manifold would be too small... perhaps a 350 Holley redline/lynx manifold with the adaptor plate fitted?

Haven't seen the webber carbs enough to remember what hoses and vacuum lines and fuel lines run to it, but Im running an electronic fuel pump to it which is running on the Stromberg right now. I also heard about problems at 3k rpm+ and WOT with the accelerator cable hitting the adaptor plate or manifold. I have a dremel here so I could work around these things with a bit of grinding. Just good to know what to expect.

Things I'm concerned about is problems with the engine idling and running because of manifold vacuum lines and larger spacing in the manifold messing with mixtures etc... however Im sure it will be all ok =)

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Hi, I had a torana with a 202,ACl Flat tops,yellow terra head and heatseeker stage 3 cam. Had a 2 barrell holly on it and found it to be crap.Fitted a twin stromie setup. The power was strong right through to 6000 rpm with good low to mid range power.