Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Webco ST Series front Shock for a VE

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Has anyone use these cheap front shocks from Webco (ST Series) from ebay for their VE. This is only a Shopping car so I don't really car about performance but I do care if they fail in a matter of months on normal driving on or sealed roads. The Original shocks on our Cheap VE are very good and have no extra bounce on them but one of the (driver side) has a half broken rubber boot. What should I do, Should i just replace the broken rubber boot or just buy a complete cheap shocks that has everything including the top bearings and other.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-Fr...Kit-Commodore-VE-Sedan-Ute-Wagon/132573149051

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like know body knows this brand of cheap shock. Doing a Google I found one issue with them and the ACCC got involved with it but outside this I found nothing!. Looks 4WD use them but now they are made for the commodore.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The old man has fitted them to work vehicles where old shocks wouldn't pass roadworthy/inspection, although these are 4x4's. No issues with them so far, but they don't exactly cop any abuse.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The old man has fitted them to work vehicles where old shocks wouldn't pass roadworthy/inspection, although these are 4x4's. No issues with them so far, but they don't exactly cop any abuse.
Yes Webco have been around since 2015 but there is little to know about them. Put it this way I need to buy a Rubber Boots for my VE because the drivers side is 70% gone so just for two of them on ebay its $63. Now I might need a top strut bearing kit and that will cost me $30 + I need two new bolts for the front hub assembly that cost $35 for two bolts with the nuts and considering you can't use those bolt after you take them off once so that $128 just for one side if I needed to fix the one side only but with Webco kits for the VE you get the lot for both sides, The shocks, The bearing kit, the bolts for the Hub assembly, the bumper stops, the rubber boots and everything needed for $189. Yes they are cheap but this is a shopping car only mainly to drive on our sealed roads that has not to many pot holes (lol) to worry about

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I just replaced the shockers, inc Top Bearings, Lower Control Arm, and Radial Arm, and Hubs on mine a couple of weeks ago,
I got the Shockers from a place on Dandenong I seen on eBay,
but, bought the whole kit from them direct and got a bit of a discount,
But purchased the Hubs from a guy in Geelong that was great to deal with, and quick delivery.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are a few cheaper version of the front struts/shocks for the VE to chose for. I dont want anything fancy, it just a shopping car so our VF can stay in the Garage

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I've used Webco shocks on a Falcon wagon. First set leaked within the warranty period and were replaced, but I had to pay the freight cost. Second set didn't really last long, knocking and just useless after 40,000km.
You get what you pay for.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How many ks on the car?
I am very anti cheap shocks because I have have tried cheap ones and quality ones and the difference outweighs the cost by so far it's not funny.
One option is to wait for a good 30% off sale or similar. Getting good stuff cheap is always a bonus! If the car has done more than 100k I'd expect the struts to need changing.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many ks on the car?
I am very anti cheap shocks because I have have tried cheap ones and quality ones and the difference outweighs the cost by so far it's not funny.
One option is to wait for a good 30% off sale or similar. Getting good stuff cheap is always a bonus! If the car has done more than 100k I'd expect the struts to need changing.
The VE has done 156,400 k but yet the front shock/struts are very good. We had two people bounce on one side but yet the front stopped dead on the next cycle. Both side we the same. The rears was really bad that why I changing them now.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe some black tape will do for now to hold the boot together for a year or so if everything else is good.
You will probably notice worn shocks more when driving than you would by bouncing on them. Even if you and your mate are both big boppers and add up to a combined 200kg that is next to nothing compared to the weight of the front end of your car going around a corner or slamming a big bump.
The worn boot will just accelerate the wear of the shock so you might as well wait until the shocks worn out then replace it. I'm guessing you will get quite a surprise how bad it's worn at the ks it's at now even though the bounce test suggests otherwise.
See how it rides with the new rears, should be nice!