Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weber carby on blue 202

renwizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
hey everyone,
I have been informed that weber carbies make the 202 go pretty well. Is this a fallicy or do they perform well?
I am placing this blue 202 into a merlin sabre hull and would like to know if it is worth the effort of changing out the 350 holley. I have never had much success with the holley carb system.
also how much should i shave off the head to get a nice sweet compression ratio it is a standard twelve port head and all the interior components are standard.

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
Ahh the old days....if it's a genuine 12 port head? The original head studs are removed as these form the seperation chamber for fuel and exhaust then plugged ontop and the head is held down with high tensile alan key bolts. Plastic metal is then formed into a "V" at the rear of the head chamber to seperate fuel and exhaust. Easy to see where manifolds bolt on. If the head is like that it should already have larger valves and at least double valve springs. Mine peaked at 7500 rpm with a hot cam and had tonnes of torque. Holley 350 was plenty but triple webbers were considered the best at the time. Liverpool speedway six class ran stroked 202s with triple webbers.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You said its a blue 202. Is it a 12.port conversion on a red head or a proper factory late model head?

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think either way it needs to have alot done to both engine and head to warrant the use of all that extra fuel.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I seem to recall Ford using a Weber downdraft 2 barrel on the last carby Falcons and reading them being suggested as a replacement for the standard blue 202 carb.

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
The big advantage of the triple webbers is basically 1 x carb per two cylinders therefore heaps of fuel available but you need a real good setup in place to be able to demand that amount. As I said I had a 12 port head on a 186s with a 350 holley and it didn't starve for fuel. He should get the 350 holley jetted to suit the head.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes a Falcon weber is a better option than the standard varijet carb....They came out on the XE and XF Falcons....The trible weber set up is considered the bees knees for a hottie, but finding a set up will set you back about $4 or $5 grand, give or take a couple of grand.

A 350 Holley properly jetted should suffice, if you already have one.....I have one fitted to an unknown spec 202 red....Power rev range for my 202 is 1800 RPM through to about 6000RPM...(ex speedway motor).....I have a 65 power valve and 61 jets in it....

So a little food for thought

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
i had an EH fitted with a modified 12 port head ,hot cam,186 with steel crank,from memory,5spd supra box and hr disc brake front end.it had a Holley 390cfm which worked really well.
ahh........the good old days.
cheers
warrick