Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

webuycars/carswanted or equivelants..

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi people, not really sure where to put this so apologies if it's incorrect.

I've had nothing but trouble with my vz sv6 virtually since i bought it and im finally cutting ties with it. the final straw is a possible timing chain replacement in the next 12 months.
Just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with these guys that take your car off you?
Are they ok?
I know i won't get a grand price for my car through them but after the costs and hassle involved in fixing the chain, plus there are a few panels with minor damage-i feel it just wouldn't be worth it and probably end up with the same amount of money at the end of it all.

Any info/advice/experience/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
They'll take it off your hands for substantially less than you might get as a trade-in or at a private sale. However, if it's caused you so much grief and you think you might be facing big repair bills (how can you tell that the timing chains will need replacing in 12 months time, though?), they are a quick way to offload a problem. Just don't be in the position where you still owe money on it - you are sure to get less than you owe.

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for the info mate, I do have some owing on it but I've been offered more than I owe from them (not much more I might add), just weighing up my options really. Virtually looking at going back to square one I guess.

As for the chain, it's been making a god awful rattling/clattering noise combined with a heavy shake in idle on and off for the last 18 months and it's taken that long for it to be diagnosed as a timing chain fault. Spent 2k on different mechanics "solving" it or trying to.

Nothing but grief your spot on lol

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
some vz's and early ve's did have the incorect timing chains fitted to them but why dose your chain need replacing in the next 12 months ?

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
As explained above, my car has had a very loud/violent rattle and vibration in idle once the engine has heated up (after maybe 15 minutes or so). I personally can't be 100% sure if this is actually the case but i do trust my current mechanic as i have been to a few others previously who have falsely diagnosed the problem, for it only to return.
My VZ SV6 is early 2005 model.

I am yet to come across anyone with a similar problem to be honest