Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weed spraying

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone know if I have wasted my time spraying grass at 3pm today? I planned to get it done this morning at 9-10am but brand new Hills knapsack unit had to be returned. Trip to town that took me over three hours by the time I got back. I get back and assemble the new unit, only to find it too was faulty with a different issue. Battled for around an hour before cracking it and storming off. Spent 45mins on the net and found low pressure is a common issue on Hills spray units.

Back to the new house and completely dismantle the spray unit. I find the seal had not been lubed from factory and was half hanging off. Lubed the seal with rubber grease and reassembled the unit and at 3pm I was finally able to spray.

I took a day off work to get the weeds sprayed, as we rarely get a weekend without rain lately. But my concern is the dew will set in around 7-8pm tonight, will this ruin my spraying? I have always sprayed in fine weather early in the day in the past but here in Tas fine days can be really hit and miss in winter and with the BS I had to go through to get a working unit wasted most of my annual leave day pretty much. .

I tried Google but seemed to have mixed opinions.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've found dew doesn't make too much difference, we tend to get it all year round in Canberra. It doesn't really wash the weeds down much here. A lot might depend on the product and concentration, I guess you'll find out inevitably

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Do you put some dishwashing liquid in the sprayer.
Helps the poison stick to the weeds.
Of cause weather can play a part.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No didnt have any. When I realised it was too late and didn't want to head to the shop.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks boys, I think I will be OK with what I have done.

Shangus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Magnum, VFII CalaisV, VEII SV6, VZ X6 tonner
Thanks boys, I think I will be OK with what I have done.
Glyphosate will tolerate a light shower 30 minutes after application, and is rainfast after 2 hrs. I think you’ll be fine.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
White cleaning vinegar from the supermarket is cheap.
A spray early on a dry sunny day will have the grass/weeds looking sick by that afternoon, and dead the next day.
Quick temporary fix only, it won't last as long as Roundup.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
White cleaning vinegar from the supermarket is cheap.
A spray early on a dry sunny day will have the grass/weeds looking sick by that afternoon, and dead the next day.
Quick temporary fix only, it won't last as long as Roundup.
The cleaning vinegar is not effective. The apple cider vinegar mixed with salt to saturation is to some extent.
The products sold that are just salt and vinegar are far more concentrated than we can achieve in our backyards.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Avoid the use of Roundup. I’m on an advisory board for Horticultural education and one of the most important topic of discussion is the use of Glypho in the trade. Alternatives must be developed and existing alternatives used at every opportunity.