Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weed spraying

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Slasher is an excellent alternative. It uses a plant derived acid. We find that it is as effective or better than Glypho. It’s available in as a concentrate and it’s used in commercial agriculture.

I like it, Bunnings has it in stock. So replace all the water normally added with seasol instead and add a bit of detergent?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sorry no. I probably should clarify that. I was doing two things at once.

Mix up as the directions specify. Don’t add extra, for many herbicides, they become less effective at high ratios.

Once you have your mix, and assuming the home gardener is using a 5ltr sprayer, add 1/3cup of dishwashing liquid (or add around the same of a high grade wetting agent) and about 3 caps of Seasol. Not much.

You would add a whole thing of food dye. They are so tiny. Red shows up well. It can stain the path for a while.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So is the cheap stuff a selective or are you trying to kill all of the grass with the weeds ?
Nah, trying to kill the lot. I want to get a positrack in when I have a spare $1000 to smooth out the bumps in the yard and having grass on it makes it hard. to do that effectively, unless its all dead.

Yard is covered in pebbles and I need to used a whacker-packer and push them into the dirt, before buy roll out or loam and seed, depending on finances and whether the neighbour continues his unwillingness to go halves in a fence..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good info there Fu. I have a big bottle of spray dye already but I didn't want to stain my new unit, especially when I just returned a brand new Hills knapsack and nearly had to go for a second round trip all the way to Town as my replacement unit was faulty too.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So is the cheap stuff a selective or are you trying to kill all of the grass with the weeds ?

Selective herbicides won’t be cheap. Zero, Roundup, or Hortico Glypho products found retail will not be selective. It takes a bit more skill to get the right selective herbicide. The right advice is hard to come by (as in most industries.)
F4506A5B-8510-4D56-8904-40E9B8E6CB11.jpeg
92B8808F-F225-426F-9790-510DC9E18E78.jpeg

I use a handy field guide

slasher is not selective, nor Salt and vinegar concentrates. So again, a good reason to use food dye so you can see where you have sprayed.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah, trying to kill the lot. I want to get a positrack in when I have a spare $1000 to smooth out the bumps in the yard and having grass on it makes it hard. to do that effectively, unless its all dead.

Yard is covered in pebbles and I need to used a whacker-packer and push them into the dirt, before buy roll out or loam and seed, depending on finances and whether the neighbour continues his unwillingness to go halves in a fence..
You likely won’t kill the grass using Glypho. A bit like using a flat head screwdriver to undo a Phillips head screw. It makes the job harder than needed. It can be done but will be torturously long.

Get some Cannonade or Fusilade from the ag shop. Grass gone in one spray. The right tool for the job. Won’t harm trees and shrubs. Only kills monocots. One 500ml bottle for around $80 will cover half a hectare. So there’s enough to kill the grass if it pops up in patches in the future.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah selective gear is pretty exi. I used to use it a fair bit when I was working for myself, mostly on lawns with broadleaf weeds in them. I pretty much killed a lawn once as I used Yates weed & Feed and left it on too long before watering. Lost a whole three months of growth and with Kykuyu that's an entire season in Tas. Had I watered it in 24hrs later I'd have some decent coverage now. But three years on I still have very little coverage.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will see if I can get a lift to Roberts to buy some of that trick poison Fu. I have a fair amount of that fine tall bush grass that mowers struggle to cut properly. I'd like to eradicate it if possible. Also have a waxy creeper weed that I don't think glypho will kill, not easily anyway.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That waxy leaf won’t be killed by Fusilade. Will require maybe Bromoxynil or some sort of woody weed killer and the best would be something with Triclopyr. Add the wetting agent, Seasol and food dye and the job gets super effective. Especially with a 3 day window of no rain.

Have as much of the weed there as possible. So don’t mow before spraying. Don’t mow after either. You want a good 2weeks for it to do it’s job. Same with the Fusilade. It’s not going to change before your eyes. It takes weeks for it to do its thing.

Shangus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Magnum, VFII CalaisV, VEII SV6, VZ X6 tonner
Slasher is an excellent alternative. It uses a plant derived acid. We find that it is as effective or better than Glypho. It’s available in as a concentrate and it’s used in commercial agriculture.
I haven’t heard of Slasher, can this be used as a glyphosate alternative in a broadacre application, and what is the cost difference? I have always had good results with glyphosate with a surfactant, but have been recommended to add Hammer for tougher jobs. I’m talking pastures not horticulture use, if that makes any difference. I am always willing to learn something new.