Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird as buggery battery draining/dead issues. WTF-Anyone got any ideas??

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Hey all,i have to have the weirdest & frustrating problem ever,my battery goes flat overnight. No,i am not a moron who left my lights on either. Simply put the battery goes dead overnight or if left for a certain amount of time. Once the car starts,the battery charges up,car runs ok & will 99% of the time(first time today it didnt start after driving for a bit) start again after driving it for a bit too allow the battery to re-charge. So no dramas with a dodgey battery or alternator i think otherwise it wouldnt start again. The problem is,i know that eventually the battery will simply die on me because its been let go dead & then recharged again more than should be done. So what suggestions are there thats a possible cause for the battery to drain & go dead? What stupid thing is causing something to drain the battery? Anyone had this problem & what was it or anyone have any sensible ideas? Car is a VX LS1 Auto,not that that should really matter as i am sure apart from the engine they are basically the same.
Cheers in advance for a resolution to my current headache!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Check that all interior light are going out as they should, particularly the glove box and boot lights. They can drain a battery overnight. Also check that your brake light switch isn't defective. I had a brand new Mark V Golf that needed two of those things replaced under warranty. The first time it just didn't work properly, the second one would activate by itself overnight and flatten the battery completely. I oinly discovered it by accident when I went into the garage late one night to find the brake lights stuck on.

If this problem has just started, it could have something to do with the cooler night temperatures we are now experiencing. The tolerances within some electrical components are so close that contraction of parts as the temperature drops is all it takes to complete a circuit and activate a light.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could just be that the battery is on it's last legs and not holding it's charge anymore, they only have a certain lifespan, Have it tested by an auto electrician, it only takes a minute and they usually don't charge for that.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
If you know how to use an ammeter/multimeter it should be easy to find. Pull a fuse one at a time, and put the ammeter in the place of the fuse.

It will tell you where to start looking for the problem.

If not, an autosparky will take your money..

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
close all the doors and check everythings powered off and take off the negitive leave and tap it onto the neg termianl and if it sparks something is left on ? :p

if not the batterys feckd

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
id check wat ur battery is at bout 15mins after use and then the next morning and see wat figures u get? as accent said it could b on its last legs as driving it 4 a bit wont charge the battery enough so really u either need 2 do a couple hours worth of driving or stick it on a charger and go from there.

Make sure ur regulator is working fine on ur alternator aswell.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
my friend has a vt, had it for about 3 months, the interior light did not work, so the other day i got a new globe, put it in ,,,working ok, but there was a little bit of scorching around old bulb.now 2 days later battery dead flat ,battery only 2 months old ,got a replacement battery ,while other one getting charged, today 24 hrs later the second battery dead flat ??? mate took the bulb out and said that it was warm, could the bulb be drawing power evn thought its not on, sounds suss i know

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
does the car have a factory GPS unit??? The boot mounted computer draws current all the time. You need a good battery that can take at least 2 weeks of slow discharge without failing.

nloryb1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
i have a smilar problem battery has a 4A drain on it, pulled all fuses all relays un wired alternator but still has the same drain thinking it could be starter motor. does the starter motor have an un fused feed