Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird brake problem

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I'll say a M/C fault too. When it faults you could test it by clamping the three brake hoses.If the pedal is still crap, its the master.

If I was to do my brake conversion again, I'd go for the VE setup. Smaller pistons will save a world of pain.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
VE calipers need an adaptor plate dont they?? But i really didnt have to much trouble with my vt brake setup. Calipers were a snap to fit, and the vt booster n master slipped in with minimal fuss. Im sure if i was doin it for the first time again and had the step by step instructions i did here for it, then i would save a whole lot more time again.
From scratch you would have a full days work ahead of you, but since i cheated and bought the booster/master with modified bracket ready to go off another forum member here that builds them, i saved a bit of cutting and welding time.
If it is true that ve calipers suit the 15/16 master then i would just do that on vn-r because the booster is around 4x anyway compared to the plastic single diaphram Vs 3x booster. The vt is only around 4.5X

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks heaps fellas, I appreciate hearing everyones thoughts and experiences on the subject.Does anyone know for sure, 100%, that the VE calipers will work properly with the normal VS master cylinder and booster?And will the calipers bolt straight up to a VS.And thanks again everyone.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes they work, I have supplied a number of these setups and they bolt straight on. The kit comes with all hardware: brackets, bolts, lines, everything you need to fit it to the vehicle.

They work fine with the stock M/C as the pistons are smaller than the VT's, so they displace less fluid keeping the pedal feel the same.

( I do the slotted kit for $795)

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
NotanAbbaFan??spelling would know for sure if u pm him, i think he retails the stuff or somthing. I am half certain an adaptor is needed to fit the calipers on, whereas vt calipers bolt straight on. Both obviously need the correct rotors installed also.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yes they work, I have supplied a number of these setups and they bolt straight on. The kit comes with all hardware: brackets, bolts, lines, everything you need to fit it to the vehicle.

They work fine with the stock M/C as the pistons are smaller than the VT's, so they displace less fluid keeping the pedal feel the same.

( I do the slotted kit for $795)

I will definitely be PM'ing you about this kit youve mentioned in a few weeks then when I get some cash up again.Thats the way Im gonna go.I dont want to bother stuffing around with the booster and M/C.Thanks heaps.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I priced a M/C rebuild kit from bursons today,$150 they want for one!! So looks like its ebay up for a complete new M/C instead.I was execting to pay maybe $30 - $50 for a rebuild/overhaul kit.They used to be as cheap as chips a few years ago for the older cars.Its a wonder anyone even makes a rebuild kit when they cost that much,especially when you can get complete new M/C's for just a few dollars more.

RX25SE

Reaction score
Members Ride
$150!!! Sound like a new M/C to me, not a kit.

I didn't think kits were available for these anyway, being alloy you cant really hone them.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,theres definitely an overhaul kit available for them.He also gave me the price of a new M/C which was $270.The gregorys manuals also mention rebuilding them using a genuine major repair kit.The manual also mentions about not honing the M/C bores.It says that if the M/C bore is worn or pitted,renew the M/C.I reckon most of these M/C's would have done too much work now,and would be too worn anyway to make it worth while to fit the kit.It would probably leak and stuff the new seals as they slide across the worn parts of the bore.Ive never checked one of these ones out,so I dont know how much they actually wear.I know some older ones years ago didnt wear much if the fluid was serviced regularly.You could throw kit after kit through them year after year and theyd be all good..then there were others that needed to be honed every time they were rebuilt.And kits were like $10!!!

Last edited:

RX25SE

Reaction score
Members Ride
$270 new...yikes! Its been a long time since Ive priced stuff then.

Im sure I paid around $150 for mine new from Holden 2 years ago

$10 is the price I would expect for a o/haul kit.

Damn you inflation!