Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird coolant issue

tatuson427

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy commodore v6 supercharged
Hey guys I recently had my vy Calais 3.8 s/c have some overheating issues so I replaced the radiator didn't fix it the thing was it kept dumping coolant out the overflow after I'd switch it off so I think ok must be head gasket so it all gets replaced including new head bolts
Drive it around for an hour trying to make it hot nope runs cool as then come home switch it boom gurgle gurgle out the over flow again I'm stuck now cause I've heard this can just he a cap issue or it could be a crack in the head or block any ideas out there?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
i personally wouldve leant towards replacing the ECU coolant temp sensor

they also gave you a new radiator cap yea with the new radiator? else replace that too

and bleed your coolant, get any air out

and take battery off for half hour with new temp sensor, reset the ECU

tatuson427

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy commodore v6 supercharged
i personally wouldve leant towards replacing the ECU coolant temp sensor

they also gave you a new radiator cap yea with the new radiator? else replace that too

and bleed your coolant, get any air out

and take battery off for half hour with new temp sensor, reset the ECU

Yeah but it was a cheap aftermarket radiator which makes me think the cap is useless had new genuine holden sensor put in 3 years back but no harm in checking again definitely have made sure to bleed it right as the supercharged motor runs 3 bleed screws

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
im a bit particular with my car, which maybe why it runs like a dream, but i would also get contact cleaner spray and clean out all my sensor plugs and electrical contacts in case any gunk dirt is stuffing your circuits around

on my old VS i found the female side of the plug had bent up so much that the male pins were not getting good contact to the ECU temp sensor, i bent them back down, so they mated better

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hey guys I recently had my vy Calais 3.8 s/c have some overheating issues so I replaced the radiator didn't fix it the thing was it kept dumping coolant out the overflow after I'd switch it off so I think ok must be head gasket so it all gets replaced including new head bolts
Drive it around for an hour trying to make it hot nope runs cool as then come home switch it boom gurgle gurgle out the over flow again I'm stuck now cause I've heard this can just he a cap issue or it could be a crack in the head or block any ideas out there?

Hi tatuson427, I also have a 2002 VY Super6 [Calais] and I had exactly the same problem, temp went up and I could hear it boiling, gurgling.
What I found was the Thermostat was stuck closed, and its not uncommon for an [original] thermostat to do that on the Super6's, they are a smaller diameter thermostat [only 26mm, Tridon Part# TT203-195, as I have one here ready to install when I do the LIM Gaskets soon] , and its located down behind the throttle body.
You have to remove the throttle body [careful of the gasket], and remove the blower elbow intake manifold [careful of the gasket] [and be careful of the left guard, use a guard protector, so you don't scratch the guards with your clothing] and if you drop a bolt or something, either it will fall onto the floor in the centre of where the car is parked, or onto something else and will be hard to find, patience is the key to this project.
When you get a new thermostat, mate sure you get a new gasket, as they are not always included, you will destroy the old one, and don't even try and save it, I used gasket cement also, being where its, you don't want to visit that place for a long time ;)
The secret for the super6 cooling systems is to make sure you bleed ALL the air out of it, there are 3 bleed valves, one on the Radiator Return Pipe, one below the Supercharger Snout, and the other one is just below the Blower Intake Elbow, and be careful "not to unscrew it much" when bleeding the air out, because if you unscrew it to far and it falls out, "there will be a few profanities said", the best way I found to bleed the air, open ALL the bleed outlets, and fill the radiator with some coloured coolant & water and keep it under pressure so it blows all the air out [you wont get all of it out on the first fill] but most of it, run the car with the radiator cap on to get a bit of pressure up a bit, and keep the front and back one open, and make sure you have a steam of water tricking out of them, close the front one first, and then the back one, wait till its cooled down, and then top up the radiator, and will have to top it up the following day, remember I put coolant in it, so you can see the colour of the coolant coming out, where it is difficult to see the rear bleeder. hope this helps. cheers.

Attachments

• Tridon TT203-195 Thermostat2.jpg
    Tridon TT203-195 Thermostat2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 110

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
change your radiator cap