Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird Downshift on Acceleration V6 4L60E

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
My V6 VX Calais

Kickdown is 45-50% throttle when wanting to move

Car shifts up and down gears well and very quickly and engages and disengages lock up when it needs to.

Kickdown seems to be very high at 45-50% throttle compared to my partner's old WH Statesman V6 and the other 2 v6 commodores I have owned.
Normal kickdown for my other cars was 70-80% throttle

there is a lot of play in the accelerator cable from pulling up to pushing down on the cable without opening the trottle body is about an inch of vertical movement.

when really putting my foot down at 80km/h or over car will kick back and maybe into 2nd and then easily shift back up as I get to the speed limit (when I start letting off the throttle)

I havent lost any responsiveness from the gearbox but engine is a bit down on power due to a misfire.

This doesn't sound like a failing transmission from what I have read 1800-2000rpm is when it wants to shift normally doesn't flare and has good acceleration through the rev range without revving out excessively.

I hope someone can make sense of this, I did try and add any information i thought was relevant

thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why is there so much slack in the cable?
All I've ever needed to do to tune up a 4 speed is change the fluid. How old is the trans fluid?

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
All I've ever needed to do to tune up a 4 speed is change the fluid. How old is the trans fluid?
couple of weeks not even 700kms old

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
not sure I did think it was ridiculously loose I think i measured my old car with 15mm of vertical movement but my memory is crap.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What fluid did you fill it with?

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
What fluid did you fill it with?
Castrol ATF Dex III its full too checked the right way when hot, through all gears and then checked fluid level in park

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the diagram below. Too tight a throttle cable is at least as bad as a loose one.

1687779390153.png

Reactions: Lex