Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WEIRD ELECTRICAL ISSUE

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
Hey guy's,
Have been experiencing a sudden drop in volt's and slight dim of lights whenever the high speed fans are kicking in almost like a jolt to the system. I have tested the battery and when the car is running and the high speed fans are on the volt's are around 13.00 and can even drop slightly below when they initially kick in.. From what I understand it should be running around 13.2 at the very lowest.
The alternator is new, I have even tried swapping with another new alternator with no difference in outcome.
The car has a brand new optima yellow top battery in the engine bay that I bought yesterday and an unknown age on the AGM battery in the boot.
Could it be that because I'm running 4 PDX amp's in the boot which powers a competition level sound system the bottleneck is the 8 gauge wire coming from the alternator to the battery?
Hasn't become an issue til recently which leads me to believe not?
thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I've been experiencing the same thing for years and can't get to the bottom of it. I've replaced a battery and alternator (because they needed replacing anyway) and it made no difference. I replaced both cooling fans with brand new Holden ones, thinking maybe the old ones were causing a strain on the system, but it made no difference. It's annoying but I just live with it. Maybe one day I'll replace something and it will fix the problem.
I did have a burned out connector on one off the fans a long time ago so I assume they draw a lot of power.

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
I've been experiencing the same thing for years and can't get to the bottom of it. I've replaced a battery and alternator (because they needed replacing anyway) and it made no difference. I replaced both cooling fans with brand new Holden ones, thinking maybe the old ones were causing a strain on the system, but it made no difference. It's annoying but I just live with it. Maybe one day I'll replace something and it will fix the problem.
I did have a burned out connector on one off the fans a long time ago so I assume they draw a lot of power.

I wonder if it could be caused by the connection on the alternator? Apart from that I can’t think of what else would be causing the issue. Tonight the voltage was below 12V which was concerning.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Check the low speed is coming on first as its less draw then high speed, then high has less shock load as the fans are already going if it does engage.