Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird engine knock

Flajibajib

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM caprice
Hey guys,
i have a strange light knocking noise that i can hear when i'm just idling (when the engine is hot / cold). Ive attached a link where i did my best to capture the sound (its easier to hear on full volume). First thing that popped into my head was engine knock but i don't hear it at all when im driving it normally around town its only at idle that i can hear it.
It almost sounds like im hearing each of the cylinders separately operating. It sounds stupid but im not sure if its just the age of the car and the k's its done (2007 wm caprice v6 ~160,000 kms).
Im taking it to the mechanic soon to see what he thinks but wondering if anyone else has encountered this?
Its had a lot of upkeep done to it, regularly serviced, done the timing chains, water pump most of the o ring seals which tend to leak after a while and i dont really drive it that hard depite being a P plater.

BTW the sound can only be heard faintly from the interior, outside cant hear anything and definitely can't hear anything in the engine bay.

Any help is appreciated.
https://imgur.com/a/An1hSqP
sound comes in around the 10-15 second mark

You've got to click the unmute button on the bottom right corner to enable sound
:)

Alesananati

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
He just wondering have you got this figured out? I have the same weird sound happening to my ve and I’ve been trying to figure it out.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Hey guys,
i have a strange light knocking noise that i can hear when i'm just idling (when the engine is hot / cold). Ive attached a link where i did my best to capture the sound (its easier to hear on full volume). First thing that popped into my head was engine knock but i don't hear it at all when im driving it normally around town its only at idle that i can hear it.
It almost sounds like im hearing each of the cylinders separately operating. It sounds stupid but im not sure if its just the age of the car and the k's its done (2007 wm caprice v6 ~160,000 kms).
Im taking it to the mechanic soon to see what he thinks but wondering if anyone else has encountered this?
Its had a lot of upkeep done to it, regularly serviced, done the timing chains, water pump most of the o ring seals which tend to leak after a while and i dont really drive it that hard depite being a P plater.

BTW the sound can only be heard faintly from the interior, outside cant hear anything and definitely can't hear anything in the engine bay.

Any help is appreciated.
sound comes in around the 10-15 second mark

You've got to click the unmute button on the bottom right corner to enable sound
:)
Exhaust hitting onto the chassis’s