Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird grinding/whirring noise

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
Hi guys

Just had my VK Berlina V8 lowered and the steering rack replaced at Pedders.

Now there's a constant grinding or whirring noise coming from somewhere under the dash. Can't hear it outside the car, only inside. Not sure if it's coming from the steering or the transmission. Power steering fluid is completely full, and the steering is now very heavy. Just checked the tyre pressures and that made no difference (sitting at 34psi now, was 30).

Any ideas?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi guys

Just had my VK Berlina V8 lowered and the steering rack replaced at Pedders.

Now there's a constant grinding or whirring noise coming from somewhere under the dash. Can't hear it outside the car, only inside. Not sure if it's coming from the steering or the transmission. Power steering fluid is completely full, and the steering is now very heavy. Just checked the tyre pressures and that made no difference (sitting at 34psi now, was 30).

Any ideas?

Are you sure its coming from under the dash??
Any vibration? esp under acelleration?
My money would be on the tailshaft or gearbox output shaft pushing on the extension housing of the gearbox.

cheers
Scott

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
Nah no vibrations, just a soft grinding noise. To be honest, as Pedders were fiddling with the steering I would guess that it has something do do with that.

Would a dodgy power steering pump make this noise? The steering is also much heavier now.

I'd be very surprised if it was anything to do with the gearbox/tailshaft as it didn't make any of those noises this morning.

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
I will also add it almost sounds like a gurgling sound coming from the dash, although a mechanical gurgling rather than say coolant.

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
Alright, think we've narrowed the problem. Noise seems to be coming from the auto, so hopefully all it needs is the bands tightened and the leaks fixed, but I have a feeling it could be much more serious than that.....