Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird How Wiper Go Before Water on VF?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Anyone else notice the nozzle leaking water after its finished wiping. Only on my passenger side. Pretty sure it's leaking from the nozzle and not left over water.
There's always something with commodore wipers and washers. My old VX used to drip the water onto your lap after wiping if you had the window down.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Mine is fine... water comes at an instant on my VF. As soon as I pull the stalk, water comes at the same time as the blades.

Sometimes it has it's days where it has to pump the water up a little, but majority of the time the water is instantaneous on mine.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Mine is fine... water comes at an instant on my VF. As soon as I pull the stalk, water comes at the same time as the blades.

Sometimes it has it's days where it has to pump the water up a little, but majority of the time the water is instantaneous on mine.
Yeah mine too.
I really think it's a bit of a non issue. Despite constant dust during these drought years, I've not had a scratched windscreen and my first set of blades lasted +5 years.
Maybe there's a valid reason for it being dezigned in that way? Safety (not restricting vision with water), ADR conpliance IDK?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Does anyone else find it extermely silly that when you put water on the windshield from, the reservoir the wipers go first then the water sprays? its the only car I've ever had thats done it, Risks scratching the window wth dirt before adding water.

It's news to me. I tug at the bit (enthusiastically, as in yesterday's colossal deluge on the outskirts of Melbourne where the fastest wiper speed was comical rather than effective!) and the water comes out, same as VZ before. Maybe there's an air leak in the line somewhere that causes a delay??

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Winscreens will be damaged far more easily and more commonly by roadblast ('sandblasting'), stone chips and even hoons throwing missiles off bridges. But scratches...that's something I haven't seen...

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
It's news to me. I tug at the bit (enthusiastically, as in yesterday's colossal deluge on the outskirts of Melbourne where the fastest wiper speed was comical rather than effective!) and the water comes out, same as VZ before. Maybe there's an air leak in the line somewhere that causes a delay??
Ahhh....that's good thinking.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I have a few chip marks in my screen which for a car that's not driven much and rarely sees any out of town road use mystifies me.

It makes me wonder if the new screens are softer than the old ones like the screens on many Euros are.

As far as scratching goes from the wiper blades, years ago on my VZ I turned on the washer/wipers to clean off some bird poo and I ended up with a light ten inch scratch, I think the poo must have had some grit in it.
The scratch annoyed the crap out of me from that day on.
Since then I carry some cleaner and a cloth in the boot to deal with that type of issue.

I can't say I've ever had the screen scratch from accumulated dust but common sense says it must have some abrasive effect and therefore I prefer to clean my screens manually myself and I always keep the automatic wipers off and an if it's only dust I let the rain well and truly lubricate the screen before I turn them on.

My thinking is due to having seen many screens with the faint haze mark showing the wiper action and believing it has to do with abrasion.

It saves me from having to machine polish the windscreen to remove it.

I'm over fussy I know but the more I can reduce marks on my cars the happier I am.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ yeah, I also suspect the glass composition is not as scratch proof as the glass in previous older cars I’ve owned.

Heck, there was even a period where some glass had minerals or coating within to help with heat rejection to reduce aircon loads. But that seemed to upset those road toll tags so I guess windscreen glass composition was quietly altered and cars interiors seem to get hotter (it ain’t global warming)...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
The glass in the VF looks of a much higher quality than what was on my VZ! May even be impact resistant, IDK. No stone impact marks, scratches or whatnot. And after 183,000km of trans Australia travel in that VZ, the windscreen was sandblasted (terribly) and had 3 peripheral stone impacts, but not a single scratch anywhere.

Langella

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 6.0 SS-V
I've noticed light scratches on my windscreen and way they are oriented it seems it was caused by the wipers blades so there is definitely a lack of lubricant when wipers goes off. I live on the coast so I use the wipers almost everyday to clean the glass and yeah It silly how blades goes off before water sprays.