Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird idle changing between D and R

oboc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Well I've done lots of reading over the past 1-2+ months about a weird running / idling issue with my 1996 V6 VS Commodore.
I have replaced (with new genuine parts):
- Both oxygen sensors
- TPS
- IAC valve
- Spark plugs
- Ignition leads
- Fuel filter
- Air filter
- Swapped coil packs with a set from wreckers

While the car is running a lot better than it was before I replaced the above (I replaced in stages to try to isolate issue...new oxygen sensors made the most benefit - one of of them was rooted; passenger side FWIW).
The car still doesn't seem to be running as nice and economically as it did 6+ months ago...the most apparently problem now is, once the car is warm, when I change from D (drive) to R (reverse) or vice versa, the car will almost stall as it engages the new gear. It still isn't getting the fuel economy it used to.
It is looking like an electrical issue now, rather than mechanical??

My brother has suggested the "Idle up" might be stuffed...I have consulted my Gregory's workshop manual, and google, and can find no reference to such a component...can anyone shed light on this "idle up"? or perhaps suggest something else to look at as I am over it and am trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic (or auto electrician) as money is tight as I'd rather get the satisfaction in fixing it myself...

Thanks and sorry for the wall-of-text...

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
Where does your idle sit when in park? and i could only think torque converter or auto clutch plates in the gearbox itself

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Checked for any vaccum leaks, cracked or perished hoses?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
One thing to try is to reset the TPS, disconnect the battery for 10 seconds, reconnect and start the car in Park. Rev to just over 2000 rpm for 10 seconds, then turn car off. See if that helps.

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Mine did this a while ago, it would almost feel like stalling for a few seconds as you described. Turns out I was low on transmission fluid from a slow trans cooling hose leak. I topped up and it was back to normal again. I'd suggest checking your trans fluid level as per the user manual.

Also a transmission service would be beneficial if it hasn't had one in a while, it's fairly straight forward and cheap to do yourself too.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Make sure your MAF isn't clogged up with crap, try giving it a clean with some MAF Cleaner. There might be a Dirty injector as well.