Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird insurance business

Luki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV R8
Last year my car (2016 SS Black Sedan) was insured with NRMA for 51k agreed value.

This year max amount I can insure it for is 39k for agreed value and the premium has gone up.

I think it would costs me more than 40k to replace my car.

AAMI is about the same in terms of agreed value but the premium is cheaper...

How on earth the max agreed value drops 11k in a year ?!??!?
I had same problem with same insurance company, they told me all the benefits, they provide in case I make a claim, my reply was I hope not to ever make a claim, the last claim I made was 40 years ago - NRMA green slip was dearer than others I checked on internet, I joined Woolworths low mileage for 1/2 the price, as I only take car out for 100klm trips to get all hot, so the low mileage setup suits me - just check other insurance companies J.L.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Ended up with $65k agreed with AAMI for around $1800 premium
You'll want to hope it's written off with an AAMI policy because their roughie repairers will ruin your car if they try and fix it. At least with Shannon's if you have a bingle, you can take it to good panel shop who'll do a quality repair job.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Had to renew policy on our MY17 Redline Sportwagon. It has 108000km.
Ended up with $65k agreed with AAMI for around $1800 premium. Called Shannon’s and they would only inside for mid $50k. I found the Shannon’s rep wasn’t grasping the MY17 tax and kept countering my arguments that MY15 model redlines were in the high 40’s to low 50’s and therefore their offer was more than generous.
Hmm, that seems to say that who you talk to really matters. The young lady I spoke to suggested $50k for our MY14, we had a quick chat and she already knew than an MY15 wasn't going to be much more but that an MY16 was a big step up (as VF2) and that last-year ones were getting ridiculously expensive I doubt you'd have struggled to get an agreed $65k on an MY15 SSVR wagon if you'd been talking to her.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Regarding NSW CTP policies >
I have been with GIO CTP for years. Every year I go the NSW CTP comparison site, enter all relevant info and get a list of quotes from various companies, and GIO is always the cheapest at about $350.
Last week, rang Shannons for a routine enquiry about the Crewman, and asked for a CTP quote as the rego is due ........... $278.
Asked the rep why so cheap, and why it doesn't appear in the comparison list.
He didn't know. That is Shannons price as approved by the NSW Govt, not a come in sucker first year price with discounts.
See what happens now with the other 2 , and when the rego time comes around next year.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Yeah that's cheap ... life is so much cheaper when you're not paying Sydney Tax. :(

Escpecially given that CTP is more exxy on cars over 10yrs old, pretty sure it was up around $400 for each of my cars within the last month. Hmmm ... actually, scratch that 10yo cost thing, that must have changed - the 6yo car cost as much to CTP as the 42yo car.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^ Just for the record, I went to the greenslips.nsw.gov.au site to check again on the Crewman.
GIO $ 350
NRMA $ 355
Allianz $ 375
QBE $ 381
AAMI $ 436
YOUI $ 537
That's it. Shannons does not get a mention, nor do any of the other companies that provide CTP. Hmmmmm ????:confused:.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Registration costs are just another form of taxation since our pollies have their noses firmly in the trough. Guess they and their sycophants need the funds to be supported in retirement in the manner they have become accustomed to (yes there are still many on unfounded defined benefit schemes about).

Sadly it’s an unavoidable tax rout that costs between $700 & $1200 for the average car depending on which state and where within the state you live... The CTP portion I can understand as that provides some insurance cover. But many states have placed legal limits on when one can sue for injuries which diminishes the protection offered which hasn’t been reflected in premium reductions (its similar bullshite to limits on suing councils for car damage caused by their unkept roads). It all sucks but not much one can do...

But it seems it’s not enough that we pay tax on petrol for supposed road maintenance, now many states include stupid fee components within their registration, things like:

ACT: CTP regulator levy, a road rescue fee/care and support levy, a road-safety contribution
Tasmania: Motor Tax
WA: recording fee
NT: registration fee depend on the number of cylinders & actual engine size
NSW: Motor Vehicle Tax according to their mass
QLD: Traffic Improvement Fee + fees depending on the number of cylinders

But the oddest registration fee component I‘ve heard of was towards VIC motorbike riders having to pay some fee so the authority can educate car drivers so they can look out for motorbikes riders... Supposedly the authority has not spent a dime of the millions it’s collected:eek:

Its institutionalised corruption and our money at work,... all over Australia :mad:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
loosing demerit points also affect the price of gleenslip and my vs ute rego is due in 6 weeks $376 from Allianz is the cheapest using the greenslip comparison site new lambton clean driving record last year i paid $372.50 QBE

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
4tr91j.jpg

Skylarking said:
Registration costs are just another form of taxation since our pollies have their noses firmly in the trough.
I guess one way to say it is
REGISTRATION IS JUST A TAX THE SKY IS FALLING THE POLITICIANS ALL HAVE THEIR NOSE IN THE TROUGH!!!!
or you could also say
Registration is one tax in a complex web of many many taxes & charges, that are used to pay for public facilities such as hospitals, roads and schools.
Wind registration back and what do you increase taxes on? Pay more fuel tax? I'd be for that, we don't drive much, it's more user-pays ... the people who can't afford to live near their work might not be impressed.