Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird noise coming from front wheels (Video)

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Hi all,

I'll keep this short.

Since replacing my Sway Bar Link Bushes about 3 months ago I have noticed that when I'm driving along and say I need to go straight on a roundabout I notice a clicking sound coming from the front of my car.

I decided to pull the front wheels off today to make sure everything was all tight with the bushes, and started pulling on a few things to try and replicate the sound. I managed to pull on this (See video below) which happens to make an identical click to the one when driving, I'm just wondering if this noise is normal? if not, what should I do to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It's not normal, there should be no movement or noise. Replace bar mounting rubbers.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What he said^
They are also called D Bushes. You could try tightening up your old ones in case they are loose but don't go nuts on them and break the bolts. At least those bushes are cheap.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Does the sound slow down as the speed of the car slows down and speed up when you put the foot down? I'm having something similar.

D

devilly

the black bush in the sway bar,looks out of alignment so it might not be tightening up to full torque as there is little in-groves bits that need to sit in the metal bits properly.

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
For the sake of $20 (Give or take), I'll do it in the coming weeks.
I measured my sway bar earlier and it came up as 27mm, as there seems to be an option for a 26mm and a 27mm bush, should I go with the 26mm which will be tighter but will overall be a snug fit?

Darkthrone, I think your problem is different. Mine does it regardless of speed, it just depends on how I turn, it does it with more of sudden turn of the wheel.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It may be tempting to get the smaller bush but I'd say stick with the one that's made to fit. They just wear out every 100 something thousand Ks and need chucking.
You could go urethane and grease it if you wanted but you'll get a tiny bit more vibration than with rubber.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
You might want to check the swaybar links again as well but while the car is on the ground. While the car is jacked up and the wheels in the air the suspension is not in its normal working position, it's easy done to think you have tightened them up enough but until the car is on the ground it's hard to really tell. With the car on the ground and your wheels straight, get on the ground and reach around the back of the wheel and you should be able to grab the swaybar link and give it a wiggle, see if it feels loose or makes any noise then