Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird noise in manual vt commodore on inspection

xaze0008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Exec
Hey guys.
Been looking to buy my first car so on the weekend went up to inspect a vt series II commodore s pack 5 speed manual. The car drove excellently, gearbox and clutch were fine. Never had a crash as far as we know. It had done 180,000k's and just had a major service done.
Only thing was that when we drove the car, it had a sort of high pitched wurr noise that came out when accelerating, and got louder as the revs got higher. It wasn't too loud and didn't sound too out of place but just making sure nothing was wrong. The only other manual we have inspected had the same noise as well, but it wasn't as noticeable or loud, probably because it had had the exhaust done. Never noticed it on an auto. First thoughts were diff or gearbox?
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this noise coming from a manual vt, and what it could possibly be? As far as i know it could be nothing, but didnt want buy the car and have to replace the gearbox straight away.
Thanks, Simon.

donny 24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S Pack
its the gearbox all of the getrags have this noise nothing to be worried about

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
havent heard anything overly odd, apart from i had a speaker noise problem, that matches the revs in the engine (ground loop) where i need to fix the speaker wiring, but that has nothing to do with the car, just the wiring..

The Sicilian

Ironically work for Ford
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S V6 5M
Yeah, as far as I know all the v6 manual ecotecs with the 5sp getrag have this noise stock. Nothing to worry about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is associated with the dual mass flywheel they have.

Andrew

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
i never had this noise with my getrag, except in 5th gear.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Yeah, as far as I know all the v6 manual ecotecs with the 5sp getrag have this noise stock. Nothing to worry about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is associated with the dual mass flywheel they have.

Andrew

Nope, have a solid flywheel now and the noise remains. It's just the Getrag gearbox, pretty standard for them to whine. It's not a bad noise and only there in 1st, 2nd and fading in 3rd. Sounds like the car means business :p.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
My Getrag never had that noise either?

It could be the diff, I noticed when I drove around with the back seat off you could hear a bit of diff whine.

If the noise changes pitch with RPM, it's either the gearbox, or something with the engine. If the noise changes pitch with KM/H, it's the diff.

xaze0008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Exec
ok thanks for all the help :) will go ahead with making an offer.
getting an racv inspection anyway so they should be able to tell us if anything is wrong.
thanks again, simon.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Correct if im wrong but as far as i know the sound the getrag makes is due too the tothing in the gears.
They are more of a straight cut than other boxes. Helical as i remember.

DCIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx manual s pack
Correct if im wrong but as far as i know the sound the getrag makes is due too the tothing in the gears.
They are more of a straight cut than other boxes. Helical as i remember.

no need to correct u mate ur spot on the only way theese gearboxes vt thru to vy the getrag boxes every single one has the wine unless it has been recod and modified