Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird Quirks

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Hello all, just thought I would post something i've noticed with my '96 VS Exec,

Normally, because I'm poor >.<, I don't run with more than a 1/4 in the tank and my car feels sluggish. like the tourque converter takes a while to pick up and the transmission over all feels unresponsive.

And then, god bless, payday, striaght away $50 of easy earned money and at least a half full tank later, she comes alive! the transmission feels like it was reconditioned, then engine feels more gruff, the right foot takes effect!

but i dont get it. shouldnt 30+ KG of unleaded SLOW the car a tiny bit? not make it go like a rocket.

my only conclusion is with ample fuel in the tank the car doesnt struggle to pick petrol up and thus can deliver a full shot from the injectors, whereas on a low tank it gets into some form of economy mode?

anyone else get this? :confused:

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Older car but my VN does the same.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
must be the way the pickup system works.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
More fuel will have a tendancy to push the fuel through a dirty filter rather than the pump having to force it through the filter, just a thought, considering VN's are not exactly new, good chance the filter is the original and was stuffed 150k + ago.

With fuel at around 1kg / lit it's only as if having a jockey in the back seat, it will make stuff all difference, your better off keeping the tank full, after all it costs exactly the same, and with prices rising it may pay to buy it now.

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
I haven't noticed any difference in my VR wagon between full & near empty fuel capacity. It's at either side of the guage depending on which part of the fortnight it is, every fortnight. Full on pension day, & usually near empty the day before the next pension day.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Yeahhh i'm with you guys....Full tank definately pulls a LOT harder! It's noticeable as soon as you drive out of the servo! Accelerator pedal suddenly becomes hard to push and when you give it a bit, 'slam', back of the seat you travel! Just my 2cents!

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
hmm i dont note any difference in pedal feel it seems more on the transmission end of things, kicks in harder.

wonder would would happen with a shiftkit and a full tank [ attain a chirp into third? ]

very weird.

-edit-

though that is a point about the filter, i havent changed mine yet and with my car being an ex farmers...plus some.... dirt....work....umm... yeah i dont think my filter will be looking too pretty. come tax time i think i'll be getting my brake rotors and pads done, air filter, fuel filter and a new exhaust on. see how it goes from there

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
For 10 bucks a new filter is a good investment! I did mine (although I don't have the problem your all having) my car had much better fuel dilevery.

After swapping them I tried to blow through the old filter, it was so clogged I gave up trying to get a whole breath through it!

Also it's not advisable to run your tank low on fuel, as all the **** from the bottom gets churffed up and starts heading towards your combustion chamber - it's effectivley **** fuel.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I notice the fuel pump has a louder hissing with full tank, but doesn't feel too different between full and empty. I guess the pump is working more efficently at full tank.