Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird rattle on front left corner

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Hi,
I've got a strange metalic thud/rattle comming from the left hand side of my SS.

It doesn't do it on every bump but more often then not. It almost sounds like a stuffed shock, but its very inconsistant.
Are there any ideas?

Ignited-SV6

Sleek and Class
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I have the same thing happening to me....a light metalic rattle when I drive on bumpy roads. I've looked everywhere under the car and in the wheel well, couldn't find anything.

I'll be keeping my eyes posted on this thread.

Cheers for posting.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
I've had a problem that sounds like this and found it to be the nut on the top of the strut coming loose, pop the bonnet and undo the nut and remove the plate on the strut top and see if the nut underneath is loose. Stabilizer bar link pins can be noisy when bushes are worn too...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Soop

I recently had to replace both front struts because of a strange noise that had developed going slowly over speed humps, or if the wheels were turned slightly to the right and a bump was encountered. At normal speeds over rough roads, the noise didn't appear. As suggested above, check the tension on the top mounting nuts and the condition of the link pin rubbers. If neither solution works for you, it could be a stuffed strut. How many k's on yours? Mine had only done 115k on the front before one clapped out, and when I replaced them I found that both had sagged quite a bit. I guess the standard stuff doesn't last all that long.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mines got 129k.
But it wasn't doing it prior to having the accident and the smash repair shop replaced the whole front end. I looked at the top bolt on the strut and thought it looked pretty good, But i'll give it a nip up and see what happens, It really does sound like that.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
sounds like the swaybar link bush might be stuffed, you should be able to grab it and give it a good yank and ifit moves then its stuffed

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
+ 1 for swaybar link bush, check if the steel plate on top has any play, as these can rattle if bush is stuffed.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah found it.
Sway link bush is mcfugged. Bugger.

Cheers.

Edit:
Fixed it, muppets at work didn't tighten the sway bar link pin AT ALL when they replaced the subframe. I hope they pay more attention to customers cars!!

Last edited:

muzammil.i13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vz 2006 (Chevrolet lumina 2006)
I have a rattling noise in my right front tyre, after it had side impact by another car. Only difference is that i found there is some sort of guard/shield plate behind the disc that came off. Any solution on fixing it?