Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weird sound coming from engine...

Reaction score
Members Ride
bike :P
gave my car a run tonite and there was a weird tapping/clicking sound coming from inside the engine somewhere... dont think its the rockers or lifters, because their new i have a slipping clutch, cud that be it? im stumped =(

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
was it pinging?

sure it was from the engine not transmission, is it a auto/manual, maybe a flywheel/flex plate bolt is loose or even torque converter (if its a auto which i assume it isnt)

could you describe it better? did it sound like the frequency was based on the rpm of the engine or completely random???

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
3 things
flywheel bolts loose (as above)
Flywheel has cracked, (happened to me, once off one tap with a hammer the a nice chucnk fell off)
or harmonic balancer, i would say is the best betm check the biggest pully and see if all the rubber is intact

Reaction score
Members Ride
its a manual, i know the clutch is on the way out, its making bad noises =( harmonic balancer is ok, its coming somewhere inside the engine by the sounds of it :S

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
when my clutch started to go out, i noticed a noisy bearing at first only with the clutch out. in neautral foot not on clutch.

it started getting worse till it was a pretty loud tap when i had the clutch released (in neatral foot not on pedal)

it would sort of go away with my foot on the clutch.

but it really could be anything.

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like somewhere in the middle, can only hear it when i open the bonnet while its idling tho.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Well, even new injectors can tick, it's just a function of what they do. I reccomend using the screwdriver trick. Take a screwdriver and place the blade on an injector, put your ear against the handle and if the ticking is amplified, then that injector is probably the source of the noise.

You can also place the screwdriver blade on the rocker covers to see if the noise is coming from them, should be fairly easy to tell if it's a rocker or an injector.

A third possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is an exhaust leak. An exhaust gasket failure on one or a couple of cylinders can create a ticking noise.

Reaction score
Members Ride
exhaust is all good, rockers are good, dunno bout them fuel spitting thingoes tho... too drunk to work on it atm :( mate took it for a run and its still leaking p/steering fluid :'(

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
exhaust is all good, rockers are good, dunno bout them fuel spitting thingoes tho... too drunk to work on it atm :( mate took it for a run and its still leaking p/steering fluid :'(

Meh, PS is optional. Even if it fails it's merely an inconvenience, albeit a painful one. Seriously, try the screwdriver on the injectors and if it is an injector thing just ignore it and turn the stereo up. :yeah: