Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Weird sound that no one has been able to figure out yet.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hi guys,
I have a question here that doesn't involve a commodore, but it's stumped us and the couple of mechanics we have taken it too.

My mother has a 98 Toyota Starlet. And as of late there is a quite noticeable loud whining noise once the car is about over 20kms. It sounds like somethings rubbing and from the rhs.
One mechanic told us it could be the timing belt, but when the car is idling or reved, there's no sound. Only when the wheel's are over doing over 20. I have checked for anything out of the ordanary in the wheel wells but i can't see anything.

It's a loud annoying noise and any hunches or ideas would greatly be appreciated! thanks :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Sounds like a wheel bearing mate.

I second that, had the same problem on my ute. Whine whine whine whine as it goes round and round faster. I couldn't drive with the window down -.-

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Wheel bearing, or brake rubbing.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
jack it off the ground and drive it at 20 - 30 KMS OR so then you will see if its rubbing if not the wheel bearing or something. but if ur mechanic couldnt figure it out and it is a wheel bearing.. get a new one.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Thanks for the reply's guys, ill get those checked out :)
only noticed yesterday though, when i turn sharply left or serve left the noise goes and returns right after.

robm56

Reaction score
Members Ride
ls1 vx ss sedan
jack it off the ground and drive it at 20 - 30 KMS OR so then you will see if its rubbing if not the wheel bearing or something. but if ur mechanic couldnt figure it out and it is a wheel bearing.. get a new one.

what? a new mechanic or a new wheel bearing?
both i guess...