Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird VT overheating/loosing water problem!?!?!

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
So a couple months ago i just got my water pump chnaged, thermostate and a good flush with some new coolant.. running fine up untill several weeks ago ive been having to top up with water constantly, i just dont know where im loosing water from. Last night i was drving and i suddently saw steam coming from the engine with a strange rattling noise, i figured i was about to seize since i had no water + no oil (not good at all!)
Today i gave the radiator a good flush, topped up oil + coolant went for a drive around the block and it seems to be running smooth as ever with the ratling noise now gone. But i still cant figure out where im loosing water from, there are no visible leaks, no great signs of a blown headgasket yet when i chuck in some water in the coolant resivour it gushes out from underneath.. Is that right???

Its probably just a matter of time now when ill start overheating again and having to top up again!!

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Front and back of the heads and sides of the block I think, I haven't had to do them on a V6.
Fluid from underneath the overflow tank? Pull the tank and have a look is all I can suggest.

The V6's don't like neglect mate, especially with regards to oil. I found that out the hard way years ago. :spot on:

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
milky oil? or brown stuff in ur coolet?

maybe leak in ur heater tap?

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
does it blow smoke? could be ur vally gasket??

also. how did u take out ur overflow tank? or how are you?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
sounds like your inlet manifold gaskets and oil is getting into the coolant and the coolant is probably going through the engine and out the exhaust. Check your inlet manifold bolts they may just be loose. I found a bit of oil in my radiator the other week and discovered all the inlet manifold bolts were very loose. I've tightened them for now and all seems to be OK. I was going to replace the gaskets in due course.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
As for the the water dumping when filling overflow, this is normal if the overflow is full. I **** myself awhile back too with my VT when it did this. How many K's your car done? Alot of VT's that Ive seen around 220k (50k give or take) seems to have there heater tap break apart, in some cases its hard to tell your leaking water a good way is just to set your car flat in your driveway make sure its dry all underneath - start the car and leave running for 15 minutes after the temp on the dash reads to normal running temp. If there is a leak you will be sure to see it as the water has to be going somewhere. Make sure your running the heater on full as well to make sure all heater channels are flowing as well.

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Commodore VX Acclaim
How many Km's has your VT done?
If you're getting brown residue in your reservoir (at about 200,000 + ), that may be due to a corroded water pump, I had the same issue, when I disconnected the pump and had a look at the turbines inside of it, they where completely gone.