Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Welding on the engine

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I went to D&T over 20 years ago when they were in the city only a street or 2 from South terrace. Had a big mandrel bent exhaust put on my VL turbo. They somehow lost my old cat and had the cheek to charge me an extra $180 for a 2nd hand cat as they said my old big bore hi flow cat was no good but could not show me why it was no good.
Had to go back twice as the new cat rattled after a few weeks and the rear hangar broke off as it had only been tacked on.
I hate when you supply some part and the company loose it and want to replace it with something inferior :mad:

But anyone can stuff up (no excuse) though hopefully they learn to handle things better the next time they stuff up (and own the problem of their making).

The fact that D&T have been around for so long must mean most of their customers are reasonably satisfied.

And tack welds limit risk of electronics being fried :rolleyes: so all good :eek: <= satire in case not obvious

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
There are plenty dodgy and good joints out there, it's just finding one you can trust. Seriously it takes fk all time to d/c the battery.

I've had a crack at some practice runs, turns out I don't have any plain metal nuts around, all hardened or other types that just won't melt to bond when welded. I ain't turning it up near alloy.

Anyone got a spare manifold round northern melb? I can't get to wreckers before the weekend.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Removing your battery is a myth, your ignition is off there for your safe to weld, like I said delcowizzid is onto it, diodes can stuff up that's why I recommend to remove the positive from Alternator only so you don't lose power to your car radio. Also run a ground right next to where you are welding from, I use a chain and hang it over the area or clamp it on so any charge will go straight to ground as your car has 4 rubber tyres.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I went to D&T over 20 years ago when they were in the city only a street or 2 from South terrace. Had a big mandrel bent exhaust put on my VL turbo. They somehow lost my old cat and had the cheek to charge me an extra $180 for a 2nd hand cat as they said my old big bore hi flow cat was no good but could not show me why it was no good.
Had to go back twice as the new cat rattled after a few weeks and the rear hangar broke off as it had only been tacked on.

Honestly, I wouldn't get any work done to my car by them myself, as I have seen some pretty average work done, for the cash they ask....However in saying that, to be in business for at least 13 years, they must be doing something right.

Oh and I dealt with them, when they were in Salisbury....They have now moved to Prospect