Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

welding up parcel tray

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
hello all.

i have an issue that needs to be sorted so i can get my car back in r/w condition.
some muppet before my ownership of my vl decided it was a good idea to put a sub in the parcel tray so theres a nice hole there.

just wondering hows the best way to fix this?

i was thinking something along the lines of what ive done in the picture.cut a new section out plug it over top or bottom and spot weld it all in?

as you can see parcel tray is black,sub hole is burgandy,new matel is green and spot welds are blue.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 336

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
i was thinking of building a sub box that could not be taken out to easy.but still unsure how far regency would go to double check...

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I've heard that Regency get the latex gloves out and get you to bend over. They're extremely thorough.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
the best form of attack is camoflague...

DSCF08751246496903.jpg

Amen to that... I've dynametted entire parcel shelves top and bottom to cover 6x9 holes and sub holes.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
weld it up to try and add some strength back it the car, just paint over the welds to stop rust and let them inspect it like that. trying to hide it will potentially mean pulling it all apart and doing it again properly. maybe even ask them before you start if that will satisfy them to pass inspection before starting to avoid headaches down the track

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Or you could weld it up THEN dynamat it to cover the welds

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
ok so i will need a certified engineers certificate for the job.

but its no big deal. i spoke to an engineer and basically what i was going to do is what he recommended.

basically cut another section out of another vl with an inch overlap or more.
test fit to car.
trace around the new section.
then remove new section.
drill some holes around the original shelf[there are measurements etc that you need to follow that the engineer will give you]
re-fit new part to under side of parcel tray.
spot weld in place.
make sure its a nice neat snug fit.
then plug weld through the top of the parcel shelf where you have drilled your holes around the section your repairing.
then stitch weld from the under side.

take photos of before,during and after this process so the engineer can see how you went about doing the job.
either take your car into the engineer and pay $220 for your certificate or send all photos etc of to him.
receive your certificate and be done with the rear parcel shelf and never have a problem with regency again over your parcel shelf.

just thought this info would be good for any one in a similar situation.at the end of the day its not a big job.ill be getting a certificate for the hole in my
bonnet to at the same time[walkinshaw scoop with hole cut out]

when i do the job ill post some pics.

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
want some pics?

100_3286.jpg

100_3288.jpg

100_3380.jpg

100_3376.jpg

100_3386.jpg

100_3387.jpg

100_3393.jpg

100_3409.jpg

100_3595.jpg

100_4214.jpg

supposedly enginner wouldnt tick it off. the kid that bought the car scrapped it and put the driveline in something else.

in hindsight, i wouldnt cut it through the middle like i did, id take the time to get the whole shelf and a bit of the front lip where the seat attaches.

dunno if it helps, but the job itself isnt hard. id recommend an oxy to get rid of the brass in the boot seal. brass doesnt like MIG.

Last edited:

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
top effort there.

i thought about all kinds of options including replacing the complete parcel shelf but came to the conclusion that i am just going to patch up the sub hole and be done with it.that way window can stay in and should not take very long i wouldn't think.