Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Well... I pulled the pin

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
While their V6 isn't bad, I don't like the Toy-mota offerings any better (and lets face it... paying more for a Toy-mota in a Lexus badge isn't much better). I have never liked the Mazda cars either (multiple models all with the same gutless inefficient engine? what gives?) however after seeing one of the new variable compression engines in operation... as long as reliability is solid, I think the 2019-2020 Mazda offerings with Skyactiv-X Variable Compression will be tough for these Opelodores to beat.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I had a look at a 2005 Toyota Crown 4.3 V8 recently 110000 on the clock , looked like new in and out , same engine as the Lexus , same specification as a Lexus too , I think cars like Toyota and Nissan might be a better option

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Funny you say that and I can’t believe I’m going to say this, I think the Camry is going to be a far better buyer option than the Commodore. Good engine choices (V6 and Hybrid), Lexus looks, good spec and decent pricing. I even think I could own a Camry SX V6.

am down to test drive the new Camry (2.5 na) next week.. so I will have a good comparison

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.................. I think the 2019-2020 Mazda offerings with Skyactiv-X Variable Compression will be tough for these Opelodores to beat.

tough yes... but the Mazda has a premium pricing problem
yes, the cheapest $32490* is less than cheapest ZB but is so short of
features compared to the Holden, the cheaper Mazda is to be avoided imo

Mazda are pushing their mid range GT .. at $46k* that is exxie
compared to the ZB Calais

Having said that, the Mazda still has a CD player but no USB music
connection where as ZB has the USB but no CD player. Whatever ...

* all prices EXCLUDE on roads

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Having said that, the Mazda still has a CD player but no USB music
connection where as ZB has the USB but no CD player. Whatever ...

Honestly, at this point in time, who listen to CDs? On my Pontiac G8 (VE) I hardly use the CDs, most of the time I play what is on my phone using the AUX port.

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado and does not have a CD Player. We are happy with the streaming from the phone via Blutooth. Not sure if the ZB comes with the Mirroring feature but on the Colorado, you can mirror your phone. The Phone (on my case Google Maps/Drive) works wonder and there is no need to spend the extra coin for the Sat Nav.

We got the same care on the US as a Buick. A co-worker of mine has the 4Cly Turbo, he say is peppy but as any FWD, is the work of the devil. Still a far cry from the Aussie build Holden.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Not going to get caught in the "its not a Holden debate"

But about the stop/start system - if its similar to the other euro systems VW/AUDI/BMW/Merc - on the negative terminal of the batteery there will be a small waterproof 2 pin plug. Disconnect this and the system will be disabled and just the little icon will show when the vehicle is stopped.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I had look at the full ZB range over the weekend (except for Calais). I could easily have had a test drive of any of them but I just didn't really care enough to take them up on the offer. I actually left with no real feeling either way whether I liked them or not. As a car there's nothing wrong with it but it doesn't really stir any emotion or come across as a fun or interesting car to own. After looking at ZB I went into the second hand section and instantly wanted a second hand 6.0l VF Calais much more!

I will give ZB credit in a few areas, the OP's image of the VXR instruments look decent, more appealing that VF in my view. The dash has soft-touch materials from top to bottom, something no Commodore has ever had. The VXR also has real stainless steel exhaust exits in the bumper. A small thing but maybe it's a sign of attention to detail in other areas of the car, dunno?

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
am down to test drive the new Camry (2.5 na) next week.. so I will have a good comparison
Keen to read your thoughts after the test drive.
From what I’ve read though the hybrid is worth the extra over the base 2.5.

Last edited:

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
We should get our first new model Camry Hybrid soon. Bit disappointed that we’re now getting base models, no climate and no electric seat. Has got more safety features though. In the just replaced Aussie model we had both Hybrids and non hybrid Camry’s and I have driven them a lot on various types of roads. IMO the Hybrid was the better vehicle hands down, more acceleration and handled better, maybe the battery pack over the rear axle helped this. Looking forward to testing the new one as I believe the battery has changed locations and is lighter.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I had look at the full ZB range over the weekend (except for Calais). I could easily have had a test drive of any of them but I just didn't really care enough to take them up on the offer. I actually left with no real feeling either way whether I liked them or not. As a car there's nothing wrong with it but it doesn't really stir any emotion or come across as a fun or interesting car to own. After looking at ZB I went into the second hand section and instantly wanted a second hand 6.0l VF Calais much more!
That's why for car enthusiasts who are into commodores it's so difficult to consider this thing a commodore. Holden have literally gone from the best commodore ever to the worst (from a performance and excitement factor perspective). It's so vanilla, as you said, it doesn't stir any emotion and is just a car. Nothing exciting about it at all.