Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

welsh plug

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
has anyone done a welsh plug on the back of the right head. what i was wanting to know, is, if it is easy enough to replace without pulling the head off or the motor out. as i really don't feel line doing that right now. my car has been off the road for a month and a half now while i have been doing my turbo conversion and i want to start driving it again..
i am in two minds about it all. well 3 to be honest. either pull the motor out and do the welsh plug and the rear main while it is out, pull both heads off and get them ported a little. or just see if i can do the plug while the motor is in the car. there looks to be a little room but not too much..
any ideas let me know..

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Air Bagged VR Calais, VLCT RB20, VLCT EFI V8 Turbo
you should do all welsh plugs at the same time... If you got the right tools it can be all done in a days work unless you get head work done.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i reckon welsh plugs are a piece of piss to replace. i am thinking i might do all of them. still not sure though..
i also wouldn't mind just doing this welsh plug and then rebuilding another down the track motor for it.. but then i would have to find another manual crank.
then again i should just do all the welsh plugs cos it would be a long time till i get another motor built

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
in the block. i think there is 3 each side. and there is some at the back of the motor. you can only get to them by taking the motor or gearbox out.. it would take more time taking the motor out and putting it back in than doing the welsh plugs. it is a pretty easy job.. i just don't want to do it.. too lazy

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
well i got the welsh plug out. took me ages to get out. i haven't see one stuck so bad before. and that fact that it was very hard to get to.. so tomorrow i wiull get a new plug and my car will be going

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
unless somebody has allready done the easy welsh plugs you should do all of them at the same time, as you can bet in the next few weeks the other side will start to leak. They all are made the same and use the same system so as a general rule they all seem to stuff up around the same time.

There would be nothing worse than going for a trip/long drive and the other welsh plug on the other head lets go

Just a thought

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah you are right. but i am not going to do them.. one went 3 years ago on the front of the right head. and how the one on the back of that same head. i might do them down the track but for now i won't..
by the way i tried to hit it side ways but it was so bloody tight. i got it out by putting a hole in it with a punch then putting a bolt in it and screwing it in then hitting it out.. then it came out sideways..