Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Western suburbs mechanical

Dr migg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0
Hi all, first off I'd like to introduce myself to the forum as this will be my first post!

I have been looking into getting a over radiator cold air intake, custom dyno tune, but am still unsure about doing the headers and high flow cats due to conflicting opinions by different shops.

I have a 2015 Calais V 6.0L, and while I am wrapped with this car, I feel a little disappointed with its low down grunt and throttle response.

I would prefer to keep it as quiet as I can from standard, my missus uses it as her daily drive car and I'm getting a bit past the loud exhaust now at my age. I do like it to be quiet when just cruising around.

I have had two mates that have highly recommended I take it to Western suburbs mechanical to get them to work on it.

I've spoken to drew there and he has suggested to go for a cold air intake and custom dyno tune, with the option of ceramic coated headers and high glow cats, keeping the rest of the exhaust standard.

He is saying with all of that I should expect approx 320-340kw at the flywheel or 320-340hp at the wheels, which sounds great if that is an accurate statement.

I've also spoken to Chris from hi-torque on the Gold Coast and he actually recommend that if I want more low go down grunt to leave the standard exhaust alone completely, as putting on headers and new hi flow cats I would lose a little down low but get much better gains from mid to top end..

I am hoping to find someone on here that has done something like what I'm thinking about doing at either of these two shops, and what they felt they got out of the mods/tune.

The numbers actually don't mean a whole lot to me as I know that they can play with the readouts some to make it look impressive for the customer. I'm more wondering what people have felt once they've done these things and how much more performance and throttle response improvements over leaving it completely standard.

I have asked them both the question if we can tune it to run on 98 octane to give it the best chance to get some more out of it, they both say they would do that.

So having said all this, would I feel a noticeable difference in throttle response and get up and go with just the intake and custom tune, or will is feel like a wast of money if I don't do the headers and cats at the same time?

Particularly looking for people that had their work done at Western suburbs mechanical, since they are saying they spend a considerable amount of time tuning each car to what they believe to be perfect before letting it go home.

Any guidance would be appreciated here.

This would be as far as I'd go I think with mods to this car, as I plan to upgrade in about 3 years to a new car and don't want to go overboard and potentially make it harder to sell and waste unnecessary money.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post, but I figure the more information I can give, the more you guys can help out.

Cheers

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hey mate,

I can't speak for either of those shops or tuning the LS3 (ask me in a few months though perhaps ;), however for what it's worth, I had my old LS1 WH statesman tuned a few years back at Castle Hill Exhaust with pacey Tri-Y's, OTR, and catback (can't remember the bloody brand though..!) it transformed it down low and got rid of that notorious flat spot they had. I get that an LS3 is a long way from an LS1..but the principle remains the same. :)

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Mine has OTR and tune. Standard exhaust apart from marriage savers replacing the mufflers. Quite a noticeable difference in performance from stock, so well worth the money.

If you're putting the headers on purely for performance (not sound) I'd be saving the 2 grand it'll probably cost you as you'd be lucky to see another 10kw from the headers

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I spoke to a lot of shops, and was intending to tune and OTR, with headers and high flow cats through standard exhaust.

They said it will sound stock, but with a bit more growl when planted.

I wanted to only tune it once, so have often for REX 4-1 headers and cats, with a manta quiet catback.

Will report back in a few weeks on how loud it is compared to marriage savers.

Most people have said 240ish RWKW tune and OTR only, 255rwkw adding the headers and cats, and another 10 or so with complete system.

Most full system tuned VFs seem to achieve 260-270rwkw

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
D Mig, what I would do is do the OTR, get a set of secondhand HSV Tri-Y headers, some high flow cats and do your tune. Leave your stock catback. This will give you better bottom end but leave you approx. 10-20rwkw short of those with full exhausts. A great and cheap compromise.

AllanVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS
G'day Dr Migg;
I had gotten an OTR, HSV headers (retaining the stock exhaust from cat-back) and custom tune done at Streamline Automotive (Beresfield NSW).
After the job was done, I felt a noticeable change in throttle response and pick up. The need to add more acceleration climbing grades is no longer needed as an example.
The exhaust didn't get louder, just deeper.
Hope that helps.

Dr migg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0
Hey mate,

I can't speak for either of those shops or tuning the LS3 (ask me in a few months though perhaps ;), however for what it's worth, I had my old LS1 WH statesman tuned a few years back at Castle Hill Exhaust with pacey Tri-Y's, OTR, and catback (can't remember the bloody brand though..!) it transformed it down low and got rid of that notorious flat spot they had. I get that an LS3 is a long way from an LS1..but the principle remains the same. :)

Cheers mate, that gives me some confidence, it's still a very similar motor just more refined from what I can see now.
Hopefully I will be just as happy with the changes just as you were with yours :

Dr migg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0
Mine has OTR and tune. Standard exhaust apart from marriage savers replacing the mufflers. Quite a noticeable difference in performance from stock, so well worth the money.

If you're putting the headers on purely for performance (not sound) I'd be saving the 2 grand it'll probably cost you as you'd be lucky to see another 10kw from the headers

Good advise! I think that's what I will do first actually, unless I can find some hsv extractors that duaned mentioned below, that sounds like a good idea too!

Dr migg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0
I spoke to a lot of shops, and was intending to tune and OTR, with headers and high flow cats through standard exhaust.

They said it will sound stock, but with a bit more growl when planted.

I wanted to only tune it once, so have often for REX 4-1 headers and cats, with a manta quiet catback.

Will report back in a few weeks on how loud it is compared to marriage savers.

Most people have said 240ish RWKW tune and OTR only, 255rwkw adding the headers and cats, and another 10 or so with complete system.

Most full system tuned VFs seem to achieve 260-270rwkw

Thanks for the reply mate, this would be very interesting to see how you find your car after this had been done! Please let me now when you get it done, I'm keen to see what you think! I'm new to this forum but can you tag or message me or something to let me know when you give us all your review on what youre about to do?

Dr migg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0
D Mig, what I would do is do the OTR, get a set of secondhand HSV Tri-Y headers, some high flow cats and do your tune. Leave your stock catback. This will give you better bottom end but leave you approx. 10-20rwkw short of those with full exhausts. A great and cheap compromise.
I like the sound of this mate, this is really helpful advise, especially to save some money. I will have a hunt around for some, would it matter what year model motor they come off?