Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Westlake tyres on a VE ?

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
thankyou all who contributed.

I've reconsidered, and decided to stick with a "name" brand - Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin, Pirelli, to name a few.
I see in other threads, that plenty of Commodore owners also like Falken. So I'd consider them as well.

I'll continue putting my pennies away, and buy some good tyres when I'm "down south" - almost $200 cheaper - per tyre - in Melbourne, compared to Darwin.

Just an observation from my own experience: about 20 years ago, I was driving an HQ. I had used Beaurepaires Olympic for years, and was happy with them, but they went off the market, so, after a little research, I moved to Dunlops. I live in the tropics, and I do plenty of long trips. I never wore out a Dunlop - they all failed when they still had plenty of tread left. Mostly, the sidewalls fractured, but a few had treads peeled off. I became a regular at my tyre-shop - making warranty claims. So I gave up on Dunlop, and I've been using Bridgestone ever since.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Well I have them on my VZ wagon with 18" bought them in Sydney, the guy recons Westlake is a big tyre company yes probably in China & the brand will grow here in Australia, I can't complain but I only putt around though.
I also thru a set on the Mrs Hyundai 16"again no problems, they seem to be wearing very well.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
China is renowned for producing high quality products so I would get them.......now that's sarcasm.
No never tried them, no never will.......you can get Kumho and plenty of better brands on eBay for that price.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
And where do you reckon Kumho is made?

Kumho from memory have 5 manufacturing plants around the World .. 2 in Korea, 1 in USA, 1 in Vietnam and 1 in China I think.

My first set of KU31s were Korean, the second Vietnamese, now have KU39s (range topper with no noise) also from the totally modernised Michelin plant so bitterly fought around in Vietnam.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Kumho from memory have 5 manufacturing plants around the World .. 2 in Korea, 1 in USA, 1 in Vietnam and 1 in China I think.

My first set of KU31s were Korean, the second Vietnamese, now have KU39s (range topper with no noise) also from the totally modernised Michelin plant so bitterly fought around in Vietnam.

3 in South Korea, 3 in China, 1 in Vietnam. USA is research only

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
And where do you reckon Kumho is made?

There's a vast difference between stuff manufactured in China by a big company and Chinese brands, sure this will change in the future but right now.... Cherry/Great Wall anyone? They are only 15 years behind...

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
I've always used cheap tires. $100 fitted for 20's. Never had an issue

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I've always used cheap tires. $100 fitted for 20's. Never had an issue

If you've always had cheap tyres you probably don't appreciate the difference good tyres make to overall handling in both dry and wet as well as noise.

The KU31 is as cheap as I would go.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Definitely the best value performance tyre, totally recommend the Vietnamese made ones, but if you can read Chinese... this http://shipei.qq.com/c/finance/20110321006013#TencentContent is a recent apology by Kuhmo's CEOs in Korea and China (not Vietnam), for mixing crappy ingredients to make sub-standard tyres for the discerning Chinese factory hand / rickshaw jockey.
KU31s, KU39s made in Vietnam not affected but this is where Kuhmo's quality question mark originates.