Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Westlake tyres on a VE ?

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
The distributor of Westlake tyres (made in China) is making a push into Darwin, and had a stand at the local Camping & Caravan Show.
He gave me the following prices -
245-45-18 for $195 each
225-60-16 for $145 each.

I'm using 16-inch rims with the usual Bridgestones, and I'm happy enough with them.
But, I picked up a set of 18-rims a while ago, that I'd like to give a try. When I bought the rims, I hadn't realized how expensive the 18" tyres could be.
The local tyre shop wants $480 each for Bridgestone 18".
Looking on Ebay for new tyres, Melbourne seems to have the cheapest prices: $290 each for Bridgestone 18"; and various other brands as cheap as $90 each.
Can't see any Westlakes, but.

So, after searching JC for "Westlake" (8 hits), it seems that only a few Commodore owners have tried 15" on early models.

My question is - has anyone tried Westlake tyres, in either 16" or 18", on a VE ?
If so, would you buy them again ?
thankyou.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Why are you only looking at Bridgestones in 18'? Michelin and Pirelli have better tyres for much less.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
The distributor of Westlake tyres (made in China) is making a push into Darwin, and had a stand at the local Camping & Caravan Show.
He gave me the following prices -
245-45-18 for $195 each

I'm using 16-inch rims with the usual Bridgestones, and I'm happy enough with them.
But, I picked up a set of 18-rims a while ago, that I'd like to give a try. When I bought the rims, I hadn't realized how expensive the 18" tyres could be.
The local tyre shop wants $480 each for Bridgestone 18".
Looking on Ebay for new tyres, Melbourne seems to have the cheapest prices: $290 each for Bridgestone 18"; and various other brands as cheap as $90 each.
Can't see any Westlakes, but.

So, after searching JC for "Westlake" (8 hits), it seems that only a few Commodore owners have tried 15" on early models.

My question is - has anyone tried Westlake tyres, in either 16" or 18", on a VE ?
If so, would you buy them again ?
thankyou.

never heard of them!if you want cheap reasonable tyres try Achilles ATR tyres.not to bad for what you pay for them.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Chinese tyres generally means avoid unless you want to be that guinea pig.

Price the Kuhmo KU31 - great tyre for the price.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
How many u need.

I've got 2 brand new Dunlop sp3000's sitting at home I'm looking to sell.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
As I have seen in countless other threads, tyres are the only thing between your car and the road. Why would you want to get the cheapest shittiest tyres u can find??

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
If they're just for skids the OP wouldn't care if they were any good and if people would buy them again...

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
If they're just for skids the OP wouldn't care if they were any good and if people would buy them again...

You never know, the OP could be a 'car enthusiast' that wants the best out of their road marking.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
I use cheapies on my PH cars, pottering around town, and not more than 120kmh to airport and outer rural areas, i wear the buggers out before anything looks like failing, so they work for me

If you WILL do higher speeds, go the fancy high $ treads...

But with any of them, NEVER turn a wheel, even once, with a flat, sidewalls are toast after 1 revolution if driven flat