Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wet carpet vs ute

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
Hi guys, I have been noticing my carpet getting wet just below the hewter box on the drivers side, yeah yeah I know heater core.... BUT

I haven't been running the heater for a few days and it's still quite wet, as in it does dry, but then it gets wet again when I'm driving, well atleast I think it's when I'm driving.

What else could it be, I assumed the heater core would only leak if I was running the heater.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The A/C drain pipe exits via the floor at that point (top of the tranny hump) - could be blocked.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It can still be the heater core leaking despite being turned off as the heater tap only stops hot coolant going to the heater - it doesn't block off the other end of the heater so the coolant inside the heater is still under pressure. Way to test is whether the leaking water has that sickly smell of coolant plus your coolant level will drop.
In Ballarat I'd imagine you are not using the airconditioner but there could still be some condensation trapped there from last use so 88greenVN's advice is good.

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
have been using the air actually, the carpet is stained but looks more like somethin has been splashed on it, might see what I got tonight after work, tis a 30 min drive to work so there should be somethin there, am also losing fluid but mechanics blamed intake manifold gaskets..

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
ok haven't used the heater in about a week, ran the air con a couple of times just to see if I could get anything from that, looks like it's the heater core after all, :( will start lookin arond for prices soon, the rego is due in a couple of weeks so that's gonna have to be first...... Typical to happen right when I need to start using the heater !!!

kdr2000

Reaction score
start by removing the trim above the drivers feet then take out the console and you will be able to see the side of the heater and if any water/coolant is leaking

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
Definitely the heater core, blocked that off and it's also leaking from the inlet manifolds I assume, heater core set me back $145 and the gasket kit was $45, mechanic will have the car for 2 half days, first on Wednesday then again on Thursday, coz I need the car to get to work in the afternoons, $250 to do both jobs, can't argue with that, I just don't have the time to do it myself atm and I'm freezing my ass off going to and from work brrrrrrrr...