Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wet drivers side floor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon, 69 dat 1000(delco powered)
I could be wrong but I don't think much water at all would get in through a small crack in the floor, not the amounts you were talking about anyway. Unless you were driving through floods.

Thats what I was thinking - The old dunnydore certainly isnt a princess, but im not that mean to it.

I guessing that the water thats getting into the front is tracking back slowly to the behind the seat once the front area was full.

I pulled the seat this arvo and will let it dry tomorrow. On the plus side, I found about $15 in loose change, and two old mobile phones that had fallen down behind the back seat from the previous owners!
I have contacted them ( we are friends) and they have asked me to send them over. the old samsung still powered up when I charged it. the old nokia I don't have a charger for.

Once its dry again, ill do the hose on the windscreen trick and try to find a leak somewhere.
Its just odd - its only the bottom of the carpet thats wet, not the sides - I would expect the sides to be wet if water was running down the side of firewall/tunnel/door jam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so a further update.

I have spent the last 3 days drying out the carpet. I even spent the time to re-lay the sound proofing seal stuff with my heat gun. (after the beat out the dent in the floor pan, the proofing stuff came loose and broke apart). I nicked some old stuff from a wrecked Datsun I have here and layed it over the top - apply heat gun - press down and roll with a short piece of poly pipe, and it kinda looks like it should now. I also went underneath and applied silicone around where the bung sits, just to be sure.

I drove to Perth this morning. The roads were dry, no rain - nothing. It was just over an hours drive.
I didn't use the aircon the whole way - to make sure that water from the aircon is not contributing. Just vent and a little window.
When I got to perth, there was some moisture underneath the floor mat back towards the seat. This was the last area to dry out, so I attribute that to not having every last drop out of the carpet, and the exhaust runs just near there (the floor is always very warm to touch), so any residual water could rise up through the carpet and begin to evaporate, only to be stopped by the rubber floor mat there.

My car was left outside, and it rained this afternoon for about 5-10 minutes. the rain wasn't that long, just a quick, heavy dump.
When I got into my car this afternoon (after it had rained) the carpet under the accelerator pedal was sodden again. Water must be getting in through the windscreen somewhere and plenty of it.

I pulled out the windscreen seal at the drivers top corner, and found underneath to be wet and muddy. I would think that under that seal it should be relatively clean and dryish.

Tomorrow, ill pull the entire seal out, scrub clean and run a bead of neutral cure clear silicone around the whole edge.
If its coated, water cant get through. Then ill re-dry the carpet - again - and lets see what happens then.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't use silicone get yourself some windscreen sealant.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't use silicone get yourself some windscreen sealant.

Losh1971,
I took your advice and the trouble and strife is picking up a tube for me today.

I got the windscreen seal out and scrubbed clean everything - geez that was filthy.

Next i got the hose on jet stream and squirted directly into the exposed windscreen edge (sans seal) to see if i can force any water under.
All i found was a very minor hole - ill seal that up but i doubt that is the cause.

As Im squirting around the windscreen seal I get some on the top of the drivers door seal and voila! water pours though!

The top rubber seal on the drivers door is cracked and water was passing directly through, running down the felt top edge into the door catch/holder area - where I suspect that it is getting in.

So now Ill replace that whole top seal on the door as well and then dry out the carpet. Ive got a wreck up the back with what looks like a good seal, so swap that out and go from there.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
On my vt, the water was coming in, from what l thought was the door seal.
I had been working on the interior of the door previously, so had removed the clear plastic cover, & hadn't replaced it properly, & that is where the water was coming through. Fixed the clear plastic cover in place properly & problem solved.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Losh1971,
I took your advice and the trouble and strife is picking up a tube for me today.

I got the windscreen seal out and scrubbed clean everything - geez that was filthy.

Next i got the hose on jet stream and squirted directly into the exposed windscreen edge (sans seal) to see if i can force any water under.
All i found was a very minor hole - ill seal that up but i doubt that is the cause.

As Im squirting around the windscreen seal I get some on the top of the drivers door seal and voila! water pours though!

The top rubber seal on the drivers door is cracked and water was passing directly through, running down the felt top edge into the door catch/holder area - where I suspect that it is getting in.

So now Ill replace that whole top seal on the door as well and then dry out the carpet. Ive got a wreck up the back with what looks like a good seal, so swap that out and go from there.
As I read down my thought's were the door seal but I was confused as you were pointing towards the footwell, not the first VT to leak through the drivers door seal and wont be the last.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is a revised door seal design on VZ (same door as VT) that solved a leak commonly found from the point where the door frame bends down toward the front.

Personally, I'd be going to the expense of having the windscreen refitted by a different business.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, apologies for the necromancy, but...

So it turns out that its not the door seal -
I have picked up my car from my mums place, where it has been parked for a week.
We had that rain last week in Perth, about 25mm by mums estimate and my car is parked in the open.

the next day, mum checked my car for me, and the floor is sodden again! Arrgh!
I have just pulled the drivers side interior apart again to get it to dry in the sun whilst it is hot.

So, to recap,
its not the door seal - replaced with a good, intact one.
its not the windscreen drains - flushed and running good
its not the aircon drain- thats been checked and I saw water dripping on a hot day before last weeks rains.
Its not the floor grommets - they are all there, with rubber backing over them and silicone as well to ensure they seal.

The car was parked on a concrete driveway, in the open. Its only in the footwell of the drivers side.
The sides of the foot well (up towards the centre console and the pedals) are dry.
After the rains, there was water caught in my rubber floor mat as well as under the carpet.
Again, the flor matting was sodden - probably squeezed out about a cup of water so far.

Ill try the hose again, but given the water is getting in when the car is parked, the water isnt getting forced in, so the hole/s should be big enough for a hose to make them obvious - I would have thought.

Anything else I should check or can do?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Ok, apologies for the necromancy, but...

So it turns out that its not the door seal -
I have picked up my car from my mums place, where it has been parked for a week.
We had that rain last week in Perth, about 25mm by mums estimate and my car is parked in the open.

the next day, mum checked my car for me, and the floor is sodden again! Arrgh!
I have just pulled the drivers side interior apart again to get it to dry in the sun whilst it is hot.

So, to recap,
its not the door seal - replaced with a good, intact one.
its not the windscreen drains - flushed and running good
its not the aircon drain- thats been checked and I saw water dripping on a hot day before last weeks rains.
Its not the floor grommets - they are all there, with rubber backing over them and silicone as well to ensure they seal.

The car was parked on a concrete driveway, in the open. Its only in the footwell of the drivers side.
The sides of the foot well (up towards the centre console and the pedals) are dry.
After the rains, there was water caught in my rubber floor mat as well as under the carpet.
Again, the flor matting was sodden - probably squeezed out about a cup of water so far.

Ill try the hose again, but given the water is getting in when the car is parked, the water isnt getting forced in, so the hole/s should be big enough for a hose to make them obvious - I would have thought.

Anything else I should check or can do?
Hi
I had water inside my vt wagon. I thought what you thought. Nope, wasn't that.
Problem was cause by no clear plastic door seals. Take the door trims of. Now look at the door. There should be a clear plastic covering the door. Mine, l had been doing some work on the door interior (changing window winder) & when finished, l hadn't resealed the clear plastic cover.
That was the only problem.

I had previously fixed leaks from the ceiling from the roof racks.

This may help you?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Roof channels? What if there’s rust under the trim in near the windscreen?

A hole in the firewall? Rust or maybe where the booster is bolted to the firewall?

Boot for steering shaft?

The clue here is it is wicking through the carpet underlay.

Remove seats, remove carpet (would need to cut the carpet under the HVAC)

Remove the insulation away from pedals etc.

Exposing as much of the cars metal around the firewall as possible to catch where this is dribbling in from. Would be a big job but I see no other way.
I’d go as far as removing the whole instrument pad assembly so only the HVAC remains.