Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wet Weather Tyres VT

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Just got my young bloke a 98 Vt Sedan, home only 2 hrs when he put my old VN Clubsport wheels on it....looks kinda neat actually
He does not get his Lic for another coupla weeks however...so i'm talking about a very inexperienced driver

Problem is, the Tyres on the Clubby wheels are crap in the wet...(Dunlop somethings).

Can anyone recommend a GOOD set of Wet Weather Tyres..?...That don't cost the same as Swans budget deficit...?...not after cheap crap, but don't want to pay the earth for them either...

Don't really care if they not long lasting, he's a student and will be lucky to do 5-10000 k's a year.

I'm just after some tyres that will be safe in the wet...

Looking for 225/50 r16's....( Yeah, i know, not original Clubby wheels, as i think they were 17")

Stoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Hi Mate, I have just put on Kuhmo ecsta spt and these handle great in the wet. they were $200 each tyre but that was for 235/40 R18, so I imagine it would be cheaper for the size you are after, but they have been great tyres so far

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
mine are normal bridgestone re92's havent slid out in the wet yet but if you want something with some really good grip either go with Yokohama S Drive (sports tyres) and C Drive which are normal type tyres both with do well in the wet i used to have yokohama a Drives on the corolla i had it was fairly good.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Well Capt, you are going to impress upon your 'lad' to slow down in the wet, as he could be heading for a disaster! Get him to look at the newspaper photo's of the mangled death cars of the 'boy racers'. Sure has been plenty of them lately, not only mangling themselves, but other motorists as well!

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Thanks guys, Yeah i've had Yoko's in the past and found them very good, i'll get some price's on the Kuhmos too...

Pablo, YES, he has had all the lecture's and been made to read all and every accident report in newspapers etc.
I'm not after "hoon" tyres, just something safe in wet conditions, as the dunlops on it are crap...

Thanks all

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've got Maxxis MA-Z1s on my car and can't fault them, really nice even in the heaviest rain.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
stay away from sumisoto(sp?) tyres from tyre factory... god theyre lethal, hard compound and disperse fkall water :/

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
i have re92' and some home brand ones on the front i didnt get them the car yard i brought it from did lol. theyre fairly good

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If I had a son I would have him on highway max remoulds :D seriously you might go hrmm but they are by far the safest tyre you can get for sub $150. This information is only useful if you are in Victoria. RE92s are a deathwish in comparason. Oh yeah the highways are about $70 each