Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH 2 Caprice side mirror problem

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
Gidday , everyone. Newbie on the forum. Hoping i can ask questions about my 2002 WH2 Caprice ,please.

It`s a 5.7 litre on straight pump fuel . Nothing special. Just the most consistently reliable car i have ever owned.

The passenger side power mirror goes up instead of dipping down when i stick the auto in reverse . Someone may have changed the polarity in the wiring when changing the mirror or the switch before i bought it. Who knows ? So , before i go taking the mirror out or taking the switch apart ,has anyone else had this problem ? Can the plug in the mirror or door switch be accidently connected backwards ? Or is there somewhere else i should be looking?
Thanks in advance.

Fat goober

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whll caprice
No the switch can't be connected backwards well not without a fair bit of force anyway

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
Thanks . Haven`t had a chance to look at it. Any idea how many wires go into the mirror ? Maybe 4 ? . 1 each for up ,down left and right ? Might be over xmas before i get to pull it apart.

Fat goober

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whll caprice
Actually I rhink the caprice has less wires running to the mirror than executives , if I remember correctly the lower spec cars have 4 wires whilst caprice only has 3 , i think the automatic dipping module is in the drivers door located behind door card roughly just in front of arm rest. Don't forget the mirrors are heated as well

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
Thanks , Fat Goober . They are heated ? Obviously never worked in my car . I`ll have a crack at it in about 3 weeks` time and let you know how i went or what i broke !!!!!! Cheers.

Fat goober

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whll caprice
Yeah I couldn't find a caprice mirror when mine broke off so I just got a low spec one same colour and transferred my heated glass and harness and swapped them over, you can download a free repair manual it has it all in there

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
I might do that. Thanks for the tip.