Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wh Caprice draining issues. (Anyone fixed Holden assist?)

H

harrop.senator

Assuming it's the Holden assist my step dad came up with the same conclusion after testing and research when he owned it. Now some of them do it some don't so I'm assuming it's an issue with the bcm or the assist unit.

I know I can't unplug the assist unit as it ties into the security of the car. Do statesman and Caprice run same bcm or can I put the statesman bcm in and the assist won't be powered? Or do I find another Caprice bcm and assist set up?

Another friend had the issue in his old boys same model and just replaced the bcm and it went away. This thing drains fast and is doing my head in. If you don't drive it everyday it goes flat.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Assuming it's the Holden assist my step dad came up with the same conclusion after testing and research when he owned it. Now some of them do it some don't so I'm assuming it's an issue with the bcm or the assist unit.

I know I can't unplug the assist unit as it ties into the security of the car. Do statesman and Caprice run same bcm or can I put the statesman bcm in and the assist won't be powered? Or do I find another Caprice bcm and assist set up?

Another friend had the issue in his old boys same model and just replaced the bcm and it went away. This thing drains fast and is doing my head in. If you don't drive it everyday it goes flat.
Ever get this sorted
Having the same problem

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57

Are you certain the alternator is charging the battery. I had a power draining scenario that was actually the alternater only charging at idle.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Has anyone removed their Holden assist module/mirror componants without affecting the car or BCM?

Battery us draining every week because of it.
Alternator, battery checked all good so it's def the Holden assist

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Has anyone removed their Holden assist module/mirror componants without affecting the car or BCM?

Battery us draining every week because of it.
Alternator, battery checked all good so it's def the Holden assist

I unplugged the module in the boot once, car wouldn't start so I plugged it back in.
How did you test the battery to assume it was fine?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I unplugged the module in the boot once, car wouldn't start so I plugged it back in.
How did you test the battery to assume it was fine?
Yep
Battery and alt were first things checked.
I think the Holden assist is using a bit of the battery power for the GPS when it's parked and because the car is not used often, it's draining the battery

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
But how did you check the battery, simply measuring the volts isn't good enough.
I just bought a new car so the Caprice sits there for long periods. If I don't start it every day the battery goes flat even though measuring the volts indicates that it is fine. I put a new battery in earlier this week, problem gone.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
But how did you check the battery, simply measuring the volts isn't good enough.
I just bought a new car so the Caprice sits there for long periods. If I don't start it every day the battery goes flat even though measuring the volts indicates that it is fine. I put a new battery in earlier this week, problem gone.

With a multimeter.

Has a new battery as well AC delco

Maybe the battery is the problem

Do you know if the Holden assist uses any battery power when its parked

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought I would post my findings with the Holden Assist draining issue to help other.
I've been having issue with my battery draining quite quickly even with a new battery installed, if I don't start the car for two or three days the battery goes dead.
The Telematics module in the boot for Holden Assist has a back up battery, mine had gone completely flat and no amount of charging helped.
Jaycar sell this type of battery for $20, so I bought one and replaced it and so far no draining of the main battery.
I'm assuming that the backup battery keeps trying to charge thus draining the main battery, just my theory.
I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it didn't fix the problem.

Do you know if the Holden assist uses any battery power when its parked
Yes it does, 30 minutes after turning off the ignition it will enter sleep mode for 15 minutes, then active mode for two minutes, this cycle is repeated if there is no activity. If there is no activity for 5 days it will turn itself off.