Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Front Speakers

PhD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Lt Auto
Howdy,

Wasnt sure if to post in electrical, or in audio, but...

Ive recently installed a new head unit, using a pioneer to iso to VT harness.
The problem that has occured is, the front left door speaker doesnt seem to output anything now - however the front left tweeter still does..
How is the wiring set up for the front speakers?

Does it go from the back of the stereo to a couple of plugs, which then go to each speaker? Does it go from the stereo to some kind of crossover unit? (if so where is it) or do they wire directly from the stereo.. because i noticed it cut out when i was packing the wires back into the dash when seating the HU in.. somehow somewhere, where the wires split off to the tweeter and to the speaker - it must have come loose.. but where that is i dont know ..

I find it really strange that the left tweeter works but not the door speaker.. im in the middle of removing the glovebox to try and trace the wires.. and see where I potentially have "jerked" the loom in the wrong way.

Has anyone ever had any experience with the stock loom?
If i cant find anything - ill take the door trim off and check the wiring there.. its wierd though because the passenger door was closed when the stereo was put in...

Also - just a 2nd question, the back of the stock stereo had a couple plugs im not familiar of what they do...

The main loom, thats fine - that plugs into everything on the pioneer plug (minus the steering controls and up/down for the antenna)

But whats left over is, the stacker plug, a plug that looks like an aerial plug but smaller and another plug that has 7 wires going into it that plugs in higher up on the back of the head unit.. not sure what they do.. are they the steering control wires? there is 2 orange/black wires, a black/white wire, 2 brown (or might be purple - its too dark to tell) and 2 blue wires... still cant work out what the "smaller" areial plug is though..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The wiring to the tweeters is spliced off the wiring to the front door speakers for each side. I don't think there is any crossover installed - the speaker wiring is pretty basic. The problem with your door speaker could be a broken or disconnected wire within the flexible section between the pillar and the door. It could also be a faulty speaker. I had the wiring break on me on one of my cars, the speaker would work with the door shut, but not with the door open. You could try that test first.

To check the circuit, remove the door trim and try hooking a different speaker to the wiring. If it works, your speaker is the culprit. If not, check the wiring back to the player, starting inside the door and working from there.

PhD

Reaction score
Members Ride
at what point are they spliced off though - i guess thats what im trying to locate, because it seems wierd that just tugging the loom disconnected something.. i would have thought there would be a bunch of clips and plugs holding the loom in place - its not like i pulled that hard on the loom.. unless it was purely coincedental..

Tomorrow - when there is more light ill be able to see what im doing ..
and work out firstly how to get the glovebox off.. (stuck at trying to remove the lid at the moment)..

PhD

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, it must have been pure coincidence - the speaker was blown, must have been the straw that broke the camel's back, the extra wattage must have just popped it.

Off to pick up some 6" speakers.. :)

Still havent worked out what the other plugs on the back of the stock head unit are...

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Is it a mystro (spelling) system? They had the second plug for the amp in the rear to run the subs on the parcel tray.

PhD

Reaction score
Members Ride
If i were able to take a pic of it id post it, the amp and subs still function with just the normal white plug connected using the vt-iso-iso-pioneer plug..
But the 5 plugs that go into the stock HU are:

1) the main loom connector (with the white conenctor) (going to the pioneer plug via the adapters)
2) the round stacker plug - now unplugged
3) a standard aerial plug - plugged into the standard aerial plug on the pioneer

4) a 7 wire connecter, now unplugged
5) what looks to be an aerial plug, but about 1/2 the size (in diameter) and 1/2 cm shorter.

having those 2 unconnected seem to not make any difference to the stereo/output.

Could the 2nd aerial type plug be for some kind of secondary antenna, and that other plug be for something to do with a handsfree unit or the steering controls? Ive got a copy of the service manual for a vt, but its a different head unit, and not sure if it uses the same wiring schematic.

- But, got a set of kenwood 6 1/2" speakers for all 4 doors, however i think i may return them as it seems i can put in a much deeper speaker than the one I got.. (the stock speaker is about 1/2 inch deeper than these kenwoods..)

PhD

Reaction score
Members Ride
ah ha!

Just finished grabbing the tech cd..
and the whole paragraph in the audio section explains it:

tech cd said:
The audio system fitted to the WH vehicles also features a pair of subwoofer speaker and bracket assemblies,
mounted on top of the rear parcel shelf. These speakers are powered by an additional amplifier located in the lefthand
side of the rear compartment, refer to 2.13 SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER in this Section.
A connector for cellular telephone installation on WH vehicles is located under the centre console to the left of the
transmission gear shift lever. Wiring from this connector is connected into the back of the audio system to enable
audio system muting when the telephone is in use. The WH Statesman and the WH Caprice are provided with a
six-pin connector, which enables a telephone with a hands-free kit to use the vehicle’s speakers and the radio
volume control for the telephone audio.
A mobile phone antenna and cable is fitted to all WH vehicles to simplify the installation of a GSM (digital) mobile
phone hands-free kit. The exterior portion of the glass mounted antenna is not fitted to the vehicle, but is supplied
with the vehicle for fitting if required. However, the interior portion of the antenna is fitted to the rear screen and is
connected to the phone antenna cable which runs to the left-hand kick panel area, where it is coiled and clipped to
the left-hand end of the glove compartment lower rail.

The other antenna plug - looks to be whats called a "diversity antenna"

tech cd said:
To aid the consistent reception of FM radio signals, WH vehicles are equipped with a diversity antenna
system. This antenna system is designed to reduce the multipathing of FM radio signals in areas where the
signals are strongest. The antenna will not provide better reception in weak signal areas.
The diversity antenna system consists of a diversity antenna, diversity antenna module and coaxial leads.
The diversity antenna is an integral part of the rear window glass. The thin conductors that form the diversity
antenna are laid on the inside of the glass in the same manner as the rear window demister elements. A
terminal is located on the passenger side of the rear window allowing connection of the diversity antenna to
the diversity antenna module lead.
The diversity antenna module amplifies the signal received from the diversity antenna. It then transmits the
amplified signal to the radio’s diversity antenna input.
The diversity antenna module is located beneath the trim on the passenger side of the rear parcel shelf. The
module is connected to the diversity antenna via one of two coaxial leads, the other lead, located under the
passenger side rocker panel cover, connects the module to the radio’s diversity antenna input extension lead.
Another single wire lead is used to supply the diversity antenna module with 12 V for its operation and the
module is earthed through its case to the vehicle body.
To prevent interference, it is very important that the module and coaxial leads are earthed securely.
The radio receives signals from both the diversity antenna system and the conventional fender mounted mast
type antenna. Internal circuitry within the radio decides which antenna is located in the cleaner signal area. It
then uses that antenna for its radio reception.
When the vehicle is in motion the radio constantly monitors both antenna inputs and swaps between them in
order to maintain the best possible radio reception.

So i guess i cant use this now with an aftermarket head unit... oh well - at least its put my mind at ease knowing what they are now.

Last edited:

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I am not sure if that diversity antenna is that good.

I have one in my VT Commodore S and the reception is a lot weaker and crackles a bit in places that don't have a really strong signal.

I have never had a problem with that in VT or other Commodores that don't have the extra antenna.

Though maybe it is just that my diversity antenna isn't grounded properly. :whistling