Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wh grange with wh caprice roof lining question

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
Gday all I bought a wh grange a couple months back (was looking for a vito!!).
At first I was under the impression that they were based on a caprice as per a hsv history book I have but the vin number implies that statesman. In these books and hsv press release statements on the Internet they state that hsv deleted the rear roof mounted radio and ac controls, speakers, vanity mirrors and rear headphone jacks, ive decided to refit them. As expected the plugs were all there and after completely stripping out a black leathered wh caprice's interior, the hsv deleted feature's have been replaced.
Now heres my problem, I have a kenwood ddx7039 dvd head unit. Although a little older it has more features and more functionality than many current units. Plus its still a bloody good bit of kit!

Last night I finally pulled my finger out and swapped the roof linings, installed the additional loom pieces and roof mounted rear controls, speakers and mirrors.
As expected everything went smoothly and works but the audio controls.
Are the roof controls connected to the head unit in the same way the steering controls are? Same loom maybe spliced together somewhere?
As Autobarn gave me the wrong the iso loom with s/wheel control I have to swap those over and so cant answer my own question.
Also anyone else with a wh caprice, does the control unit light up when on? And when the rear climate controls are used does it adjust the drivers or the passengers side temperature read out?
Cheers guys

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I can answer the question about the audio controls.... Yes. Same wiring as steering wheel.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I knew youd be the first to have something to say. So you can confirm 100% that when the correct iso harness is installed with the correct steering wheel control adapter, the roof controls will also work as they should?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yes...about 99% sure. Hows that?

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its not what I asked. So its no good. Thanks for playing, next please preferably someone who has the same or a similar car as mine that being a statesman/caprice/grange built 6/99-10/01.
if youve installed a caprice roof into a statesman or replaced the head unit in your caprice and retained the steering wheel and roof controls. Its all the same thing

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Stering wheel buttons have 2 wires, the roof control has about 6-8 pins, and a separate loom & plug for both climate and radio.

Only real way is to find the pins that go to the stereo and wire in a converter. Don't know if the loom from the roof goes straight to the bcm.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats correct and im not having much luck at finding a diagram. The climate control works fine as expected but the remote doesnt light up and obviously doesn't control the stereo. I believe that the remote controls on the steering wheel and and in the roof actually go straight to theradio and thats why they have the extra plug unlike the commodores. Do you know what colour the steering wheel control wires are? I can send photos of whatever you need if that helps you to nut out whats what

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Actually it is what you asked. Last time I did it, it was all the same. But there is a reason I will never tell you 100%.... because people such as yourself are looking to blame someone else. So if you screw it up... your going to try and blame me because I told you something. Your not the first and you won't be the last. It's called CYA and it has to be done because of people such as yourself Dave.

Last edited:

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you come to that conclusion? I have a wh grange with the plugs already there from factory. I also have a complete wh caprice wreck which has the missing factory loom pieces with matching male plugs I required. Unfortunately autobarn staff are, like yourself, sometimes too arrogant and stubborn to make 100% certain that sometimes the customer is right and look up that what ive told them is in actual fact correct and the item they have supplied is the incorrect piece for my application. The only thing that could possibly go badly is if I managed to connect a plug backwards or in the wrong spot, genius.
So apart from the obvious points youve missed so far ie; your answer wasnt what I asked, there is no cutting wires as its all plug and play etc do you have anything of any use to me or like a few other posts are you trying to display yourself as somesort of car audio god and that if you dont know the answer then no one will. Rather than pay so much attention to my signature, read, process, and by process of elimination give your response.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Lol you really are quite funny you know that? Who said anything about cutting wires? There shouldn't be any wire cutting if you want to go the path of a harness... But I didn't think was harness to suit your car, only the commodore. Not to sure personally as I don't use the harnesses and I'm not about to start. So call me arrogant if it makes you feel better buy I would at least have the decency to double check your car before selling you a harness. But I'm sure you double checked the plug yourself right? Considering you already knew that the kids at some Autobarn store really don't know the answer to anything.

What is your first question in your post? What is my answer in my first post? So don't tell me its not what you asked. It's exactly what you asked.